1935 Packard wiring question.

Hi,<P>I'm ressurecting a 1935 Packard Super 8, and need some help figuring out a wiring problem.<P>The generator has two wires coming out of the top. They are about 1/2" apart. How do they attach to the cutout? Do both of them attach to the terminal labeled "gen"? Or does on of them go on the bottom or to ground or somewhere else?<P>Thanks for any help.<P>Myron

Guest Chuck Conrad

I can't speak with absolute certainty about the Packard electricals, but on GM cars of that time period using a Delco generator, the "A" terminal is connected to the cut out, and the "F" terminal is connected to ground. In that era, I beleive Packard also used the same Delco generators, so that should work. If you can find a wiring diagram for your car, go with whatever it says.<P>I look forward to being corrected.

Chuck is about 50% correct....in that...about half of Packard production in those years used Delco, and about half used Owen-Dyneto, which evolved into Auto-Lite (my '38 Packard 12 used Autolite).<P>And he is also correct on the wiring on the older type generators (by '38, the wiring diagram looks entirely different from '35...they had a "modern" type system with both current and voltage regulated.<P>Pete Hartmann

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I see this was an older post, but in case you still are in need of older wiring diagrams I have just about every wiring diagram for American cars from early 1910's thru the 60's. I do charge a small fee for copies as I have spent a lot of time and money building my antique auto electric library. If anyone needs one, feel free to contact me.

Jason

Advanced Electrical Rebuilders

www.aerrebuild.com