Restoration / Parts Costs

Hi,<BR>I am getting close to buying one of several late 30's sedans I have seen, and funds will be limited.<BR>I know how much the cars are selling for, and their relative value as per price guides, therefore my question is about restoration/parts & maintenance costs.... <BR>Can someone give me a ball park idea of which brand is LESS expensive to maintain, from this era? PACKARD or BUICK?<BR>I am guessing the Buick due to higher production numbers in every year, and I know both brands have good club support which is also important to me.<BR>Thanks in advance!<BR>Mike

Mike:<P>I have not owned a Packard, but I have owned several Buicks. By and large, parts for late 30's Buicks are usually available at reasonable prices.<P>I think the Packard will be more expensive, but not outrageously so. Keep in mind that Packards have been collected for many, many years, and so there is a small cottage industry out there collecting and reproducing Packard parts. But Buicks are more plentiful and the parts industry is even stronger for them. <P>The real decision should consider the specific cars you are interested in. A clean, well-maintained Packard may cost far less to keep than a Buick beater with many parts missing or worn out.<P>Good luck!<BR>Bill

I assume first you are comparing similar cars (not a Buick 90 vs. a Packard 110, or a Packard 12 vs. a Buick 40). I believe that the Packard will be somewhat more expensive to restore, but worth somewhat more. I don't see large differences in maintenance costs. It really comes down to your preference (and I like both, so please don't all kill me). From a performance standpoint, the Senior Packards and Buick Century stand out - they were among the most powerful engines of the era.

Hi Mike,<BR> It sounds like you have given a lot of careful thought to this subject,which is commendable...too many folks dive into the hobby without asking enough questions or doing any research beforehand and end up wasting time and money,getting way over their head in both!<BR> Your choice of cars is excellent..both Packard or Buick sedans will give you much enjoyment,are very strong and roadable and shouldn't "break the bank"..however,just a couple words of advice{just from my opinion}..if you are trying to keep your overall costs down..make a higher initial investment,be patient and find a car that doesn't need much work or has already been restored as correctly and authentically as possible.That way,you can start enjoying the hobby right away! If you aren't into doing a lot of work yourself,restoration can be REALLY expensive these days!! Also,if you ever decide to re-sell,I think a correctly done car {authentic-type upholstery,paint colors,correct wheels,running gear,etc..} will fetch you a better price in these two particular brands.Or,if you decide to do restoration,I would stick to the same guidelines.I know this is all a matter of personal taste,and some folks may vehemently disagree with me..but as a multiple-Packard owner with experience as a judge at concours and such,a car that has been obviously modified or "modernized" from original doesn't seem to re-sell as well..and as a rule most Packard owners that I know prefer the "original" type cars.This may be true with a big percentage of pre-war Buick fans too.<BR> Best of luck and welcome to this great hobby!

Thanks for the good advise and encouragement! I realize my car of choice probably wont qualify for CCCA, but I appreciate the help! And who knows, I may upgrade some day! smile.gif" border="0<P>Mike<P>FYI, still looking for my 4-door sedan. Either 36-38 Buick Century, or 35-40 Packard 120 (cant afford senior models) and recently also considering similar LaSalle models as well (they seem to be reasonably priced) Basically, I want a nice clean orig or restored "driver" for Sunday church, occasional family dinners and local car shows. smile.gif" border="0

Hi Mike...<P>Brace yourself...this is coming from a Packard buff....if it were me...I'd take a Buick Century over a Packard "120" any day. Both are good quality buys for the money, but...the Buick has it ALL OVER the Packard in performance. The Buick Century of the late 1930's was probably about the fastest car of its day. <P>I can not agree more with the other chatters in this room - sell your wife, your dog, and your body to little old ladies...if that is what it takes...to get the best condition you can. Restoration is money thrown into the toilet - you NEVER get it back (unless, of course, your car is a "star" model heavy classic...even then..I have my doubts!) The best condition / original car would be the best bet.<P>Secondly, soon as I got my Buick home, I'd pull the heads and the oil pan, and take the connecting rods down to a machine shop, and have them hone out the big ends to fit a modern "insert" connecting rod bearing. Check with the Buick Club on this...bet they could give you a part number of a modern bearing that will be a "drop in" . (get the bearing shell size first...THEN hone to a "interference / crush" fit.<P>When the first Pennsylvania Turnpike opened around '39, people with Buick Centuries had a ball "blowing off" just about everyone else...even...I hate to admit this...people with Packard Twelves like me....<P>Well...for a while....sustained high speed driving (and modern freeway driving certainly qualifies)...will burn out your connecting rod bearings in no time at all.<P>Pete Hartmann