Peerless 1925 Cars

I am looking for anyone who may own or know of a Peerlees 1925 car. The Peerlees that is in our families collection is a four door-five passenger....Is it the only one left?! Thanks!

• 6 years later...

Hello Peerless owner.

Yes, there are other Peerless cars around! It is difficult to document the true number -- I would estimate somewhere beween 200 and 600. Finding the Holy Grail would almost be easier, since there is only one to look for(!). Four 1925's are left that I know of.

I realize that it has been a long time since you posted this, but look up the peerlessmotorcar.com website and use the Guest Book feature to find something about the Peerless Registry if you read this.

Jeff Brown, Peerless Motor Car Club member

Yes Peerless is a great car as Jeff alludes to and posts inquiring about them get a slow response but better late then never - and I am not sure your Peerless is a full classic - a lot of Peerless cars are not - so some of us "normal" members don't check in here often, unless we own full classics.

1925 was a great year for Peerless with what I believe was the highest model year production. Few remain, and a few may be in garages or museums that the Peerless club just doesn't know about.

Join the Peerless Club. It's not very active but something is better then nothing - visit the website and communicate with Jeff Brown, myself (Bryan J. Moran) or our club President or Vice President - both of them like to talk Peerless, as Jeff and I do.

If you want to, I am the keeper of the Peerless Registry, a project to document and catalog all known Peerless automobiles. You can email me direct at abc.moran@netzero.net and I will inform you what I need to document and add your Peerless to the Registry.

Remember Jeff's comments about there being between 200 and 600 Peerless cars left? That's kind of the problem. It's hard to know. Unlike more common makes, these cars are more likely to be seen in older collections, not driven or shown and many reside in obscure and well known museums - and we simply don't know of their existence.

Thanks for your interest -

Bryan Moran

Madrid, Iowa

TEST TODAY ON PEERLESS & MUSEUMS

It's great to see a Peerless Motor Car Company automotive forum on the AACA web-site...and right next to Pierce-Arrow!

As I was telling the unknown contributor to the forum seven year's past who started this thread, there are Peerless cars around. It is difficult to say just how many of a particular make, model or year are still here. A case in point is museums.

There are hundreds that have autos in their collections, but how would the above-mentioned forum writer find out how many museums have 4-door, 5-passenger 1925 Peerlesses? All of these museums would have to share their data, and then you have all of the private owners of old cars. That leaves us with the old-fashioned way: simple personal experience, reading, and networking with friends. Here's a quiz to test your personal knowledge of Peerless & Museums:

HERE IS A LIST OF 16 MUSEUMS...

8 OF THEM HAVE ONE OR MORE PEERLESS VEHICLES,

8 OF THEM DON'T {to the best of my knowledge}:

1. Boothbay Railway Village Boothbay, ME

2. Bovington Tank Museum U.K.

3. Cussler Classic Car Museum Arvada, CO

4. J & R Vintage Auto Museum Rio Rancho, NM

5. LeMay Collection State of Washington

6. McCone County Historical Museum Circle, MT

7. Montana Auto Museum Deer Lodge, MT

8. National Road-Zane Grey Museum Norwich, OH

9. Nethercutt Collection San Sylmar, CA

10.Peterson Automotive Museum California

11.Pioneer Auto Show Murdo, SD

12.Pioneer Village Minden, NE

13.Reynolds-Alberta Museum Canada

14.Roaring 20's Auto Museum Minnesota

15.Roaring 20's Museum Hood, VA

16.Sandstone Heritage Trust Republic of South Africa

I will write back with the answers after October 1st.

Admittedly, these museums are scattered all over the countryside, but I didn't want to favor just one region. My apologies for not having complete data for each museum or having space to describe them better. Anyone trying to answer this quiz is doing it for their own entertainment -- there is no prize. The idea is to see if anyone can look at a random list of museums and tell, from memory, which ones have a particular car in them. It may be that some of the eight "have not" museums actually DO have Peerless cars or trucks. After looking at seven of their public web-sites and visiting four of them in person, however, I wasn't able to find any.

As Bryan said, Peerless is a great car. I find them to be somewhat mysterious as well as interesting. About 107,000 Peerlesses were built -- but they are now approximately as rare as a Duesenberg and rarer than both of their rivals Packard and Pierce-Arrow. The marque was a pioneer among American cars in the use of driveshafts in 1902, had an 824.8 cu. in. six in 1914, a V-8 in 1916 and experimented with a V-16 in 1931.

Good luck on the quiz!!!

--- Jeff Brown

Great quiz Jeff. I'm surprised to see the Roaring Twenties in there from the town of Hood, Virginia, the most out of the way museum if there ever was one. They do have a web site. I'd also like to mention that before the owner died he went through his complete collection and gave a recorded review of everything. His daughter now runs the operation. It's worth the trip if you're ever near the valley of Virginia.

Wayne

Wayne,

Thanks for looking at the 9/26/00 post and getting the idea for a Peerless forum. Some other old posts on-subject are 10/12/01 [1921 Peerless 8-56 4-door from "Axel" in Norway][CCCA Gen.], 6/02/00 [1928 Peerless in Finland][AACA Tech.Q.], and 5/17/00 [8-69 Peerless from "Joe"][AACA Tech.Q]. There are many more back there in the "archives" about Peerless, but these old ones are really striking.

I'm glad you like the quiz. I haven't been to all of the museums listed -- including the Roaring 20's Antique Car Museum in Hood -- but I did go to high school in the sleepy little hamlet of McLean, VA! The other Roaring 20's Museum is in Brooten, MN; The Peterson is in Los Angeles; the Harold E. LeMay Museum is in Tacoma, WA; and in NE, it's the Harold Warp Pioneer Village museum, technically. A little free press for museums is good, don't you think?

--Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little free press for museums is good, don't you think? </div></div>

Absolutely, and a little donation every now and then is even better. smile.gif Keeps the doors open, you know. wink.gifgrin.gif

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can find those and bring them back up. It's good to see you guys use this forum so early....COOOOOLLLLLL!!!!! grin.gif

Wayne

Wayne,

Jeff and I are passionate about Peerless and trying to keep the make in the public eye, so we are excited about the opportunity to have our own AACA entry. Neither Jeff or I actually own a Peerless, they aren't on every street corner, but take more of an historical bent to the interest, which is possible.

I am looking at a couple of Peerless projects.

Few other makes out there are as uniquely set in time as Peerless. From that era (1900 to 1932) manufacturers either lasted a lot less time or a lot more. Few manufacturers saw such great turmoil in their ownership as Peerless and still managed to make it 32 years.

• 1 month later...

Here are the answers to the PEERLESS MUSEUMS QUIZ:

Haves:

1. Boothbay Railway Village, Maine

2. Bovington Tank Museum, England

4. J & R Vintage Auto Museum, New Mexico

8. National Road-Zane Grey Museum, Ohio

9. The Nethercutt Collection, California

11. Pioneer Auto Show, South Dakota

15. Roaring Twenties Antique Car Museum, Virginia

16. Sandstone Heritage Trust, South Africa

Have Nots: