Fender for '48 T&C

I am restoring a 1948 T&C convertible and I need a rear fender for the passenger side (as well as several other parts). I have located a fender from a 1948, 4-dr New Yorker. Can anyone tell me if this fender will match my car? Thanks for the assistance.<P>Greg Wolfe

Greg: I hope that you have read over my floor pan replacement article in your spring Timber Tales issue. There are variations on the fenders, which were discussed in articles in previous issues of Timber Tales, which are available from Bob Carlson. An index appears in your 2000 Registry issue. Generally speaking, thre were two types of rear fenders used, due to the inception of the balloon tires made available in late 1947 production. The wheel opening was enlarged to allow changing the tire, as both the wheel and the tire were widened. If you use the fender with the smaller opening, it may not match the other side(although probably no one will notice the difference), and you will also need to loosen the fnder bolts to take off the tire. Your T&C, being a 1948, should have the larger openings. They are best recognized by looking at the leading edge of the r4ear fender, between the door dogleg and the wheel opening. The width of the fender sheetmetal is noticeably narrower there on the correct, later fender.<BR>John Slusar