Plastic valve caps on valve stems

Guest Roadmaster

Guest Roadmaster

What type of valve cap will not receive a deduction? In the judging manual section VIII it says : 13. Plastic valve caps will receive a one point each deduction if used on any vehicle prior to 1951. "Red Crown" valve caps are not accepted on any vehicle. Red plastic valve caps (not "Red Crown") will be accepted on Whizzer motorbikes.<BR>I own a 1950 Roadmaster and was wondering if the plastic caps on my valve stem could hurt me in judging and what can I do to rectify this issue. Thanks in advance. confused.gif" border="0

Roadmaster ~ Take off the plastic caps and replace them with metal valve caps, which are readily available in flea markets or from sellers of tires for antique cars. Do not use the modern ones sold for metal valve stems that most auto supply houses now carry. What you really want is a vintage Schrader metal valve cap. smile.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

Okay, but what about mid-fifties cars? I did chassis at a recent show and the cars had a variety of caps (metal and plastic). We were going to deduct, but since the rule book has nothing to say about later caps and none were the "Red Crown" or other Warshawsky-style I decided not to deduct any points. One style I think is wrong were the valve stem remover wrench style. I don't recall ever seeing those from the factory but again, if the rule book isn't more specific and I don't know for sure, I won't deduct.

Guest Roadmaster

Thanks hvs and novaman for the assistance. The detail is appreciated. I will also correct the spare. I will "bin laden" the plastic caps. cool.gif" border="0

Bill Krieger,I'm gonna go out on a limb here, as I haven't run into your problem while judging. I'd accept the metal or plastic caps. I'd probably deduct about .5 point ea. for the valve stem remover type if they are on the tires on the ground. I'd accept it on the spare.<p>[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: novaman ]