ID plate clarification:

After all the discussion on this subject, I went out today and made a few pictures and posted them on the album below. I don't think anybody can tell for sure which plates were painted or unpainted on any make or model of car. I have found variations on most all of them. Enjoy the album! <A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=218547&a=9491066" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=218547&a=9491066</A> <BR>

I can't believe you guys!! You ask about ID plates and I posted the album to show the facts ,there have been over 200 hits on the album,and 0 comments.<BR> Does it tie your tongue to see the facts?

red t,<BR> I'll "fess up" to being one of those 200 hits. After viewing the pics, I wanted to thank you for sharing the info with us. Got distracted and neglected to send the Thanks. Another thing your pictures provided; was a glimpse at some other details that were "Period Correct", I.E. Those crazy plaid seat covers that were in vogue at the time. The accessory front bumper guards on the '49 Chev weren't something found at most swap meets either. Or how about the '37 Buick Raised Panel Hearse with an original head light lens. The interior "shots" of some of those low-mileage cars could help answer some restoration questions too.<BR> I'm inclined to agree with your conclusion of "consistent inconsistency" on any given model car that may have been built in multiple assembly plants where assembly sequences could have varied from those in another plant. Anyway, Thank You for putting forth the effort to share your pics with us. They probably did more good and brought more pleasure to us, than you imagined! Tom

red t,<P> I agree with what Tom has said. I also appreciated your posting the pictures for us to learn from. They gave me a quick reminder to not abiding to what I have been taught over the years of 'never saying never', or in this case, saying 'no if's, ands or buts'!<P> I still however, will continue to express my recommendations to anyone of painting ID data tags when the question arises. I still find a painted tag to be the norm, and a unpainted tag the exception.<P> Thanks again for the photos!<BR> Rick

red t - We've talked about your research many times and I've seen your photos. Now I know where you go for many of them. I recognized that hearse right away. Should have guessed the location since it is not far from where you live. Appreciate the photos and your partcipation on the DF. Thanx!!

red t, I gotta ask. The Buick Hearse. Is that the same one that was at Montoursville,PA and Charlotte,NC this summer and on the AA magazine awhile back? I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that photo.<p>[This message has been edited by novaman (edited 10-25-2000).]

Red T will probably want to come back on this one, but I can assure that is not the same hearse. The one in the pictures is in a vehicle graveyard down in central Alabama, has been there for years and is still there - unfortunately!! The aluminum flower panels are laying on the ground next to it and although several of us have expressed an interest - no sale.

Thanks guys for your comments!<BR>Hope I've been a little help,the hearse has been setting in this yard for many years,just rotting away,like approx. 350 other vehicles. The owners are friends of mine,I will see if I can get a selling price from them. Most of the time they are willing to sell most anything except what you are interested in!<BR> No,Ron,the research I did in the 80's didn't come from this location. I researched cars in different locations all over the Southeast,junkyards,backyards,and even stop people on the street to look at their cars. A lot of my info came from Benny Bootle's collection of original unrestored cars. After comments from Rick Hoover,I dug out the old video of the research and I feel this would be an advantage to anyone restoring or judging automobiles in AACA. I'll assure you as far as info to restore your car,it would be much more beneficial than attending the judging school. <BR> All the pictures on the ID clarification did not come from the graveyard,most were from original unrestored vehicles that have been in storage for at least 30 years. If you guys are interested , I can post overall shots of the graveyard,Father Ron was referring too. Some cars can be purchased .

Just as another view of the painted versus non-painted.<BR>I went parts shopping at my local Buick Only Junkyard. Looked at appx 35 40 -65 Buicks with most being 47 -53.<BR>It was about half and half painted versus non-painted. The owner said it didn't matter, even brand new some were some wern't painted. No rhyme nor reason for it.<BR>Bill

No Bill it doesn't matter, but I think most poeple fill the rivets are the only way they were put on and I was just showing that Buick used the screws.

• 10 years later...
Guest bigjoe_48

I didn't see what the seniors saw, but I am a new guy. I have a 1947 Chrysler Windsor four door. wanting to know what the paint code "7" is. thank you