hyd. lifters?????

i need some help with a hydraulic lifter problem. Recently installed a set of NEW hyd. lifters in my 56 Packard V8 engine. Did NOT use Packard lifters but used a 66 dodge 318 hyd lifter. Prior to installation i carefully measured the lifter from ALL external aspects and it matched an original Packard lifter perfently except for overall height which should have no significance. Even the valve lash is well with in specs of the factory manual.<P>SYMPTOMS: somewhere about 2200 rpm (50 mph) a negligable ticking sound (like a lifter) obtains off and on about every 1/4 mile or so and then leaves for about a 1/4 mile or so and repeats every 1/4 mile.<P>At 2700-3200 rpm (70-85 mph) the ticking is still slight but more pronounced and still on 1/4 to 1/2 mile intervals. Acceleration seems to aggrevate it.<P>This is not an objectionable ticking sound but nonetheless something i would like to solve.<P>I AM ALREADY WELL AWARE of the Packard oil pump problems and those mods have been made. These symptoms i describe are not results of the pump. The pump has been modified with plugged pressure relief valve , bushed shaft at both ends.<P>I am wondering if there is some internal deficiency in the lifters MoPar relative to Packard???

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of questions. What is the oil pressure at the speeds the lifters tap? You will need at least 30 psi or so to keep the lifters pumped up.<P>As for the "factory" valve lash you are using. Is this Packard or Chrysler setting? All hydraulic lifters need a preload so there is room to take up slop. In general, the lifter plunger center needs to be depressed about .090" You could calculate the distance using the Chrysler adjustment specs, adjuster thread pitch and rocker arm ratio. ( If the adjuster is on the pushrod side of the rocker, rocker ratio can be ignored.)<P>The preload isn't very critical, as long as the plunger is not bottomed out or topped out against the snap ring things will be OK.<P>Was the Packard engine designed for hydraulic lifters? The engine might not have a large enough passage way to the lifter bores or none at all. If this engine had mechanical lifters the cam profile will be different than a hyd cam as well.

Guest stude8

Everything Harold suggests sounds right on., I would question whether the pushrods are hollow and are used to convey oil up to the tip of the rocker arm. This was something Studebaker did and if you weren't religious about oil changes over the long haul the rods could "Cake" up inside and sometimes "Starve" the rocker tip for oil and then a click could commence. Sounds like your well along through a rebuild and dirty oil is not a consideration but the noise may be pushrod related and not a lifter fault at all. Try the Stethoscope method to listen at each head and try to isolate it to a specific cylinder. Good luck Stude8

the oil pressure is a steady 40-45 pounds hot when the tapping sets in. Again, the tapping is somewhat faint but nonetheless noticalble. <BR>I checked lash using the Packard lash specs. <BR>The lifter plunger on the retro fit MoPar lifters is identicle to that of a factory Packard lifter both in height and travel. The factory pushrods r not hollow and the lifters (Pack or MoPar) have no weep hole in them for hollow push rods.<P>Since this is only occuring at 2000+ rpm and under load it is difficult to use the stethescope. I DID run 2 pieces of solid core wire, one from each valve cover bolt, and into the interior where i could stick the other ends in each ear for a listen. The bulk of the noise seems to be from the rite side.

Guest carlnut50

PackardV8<BR>I have seen engines that somehow would get air into the pressurized oil.If it gets to a lifter,it will partially leak down and click.Take the narrowest cutoff wheel on a dremell tool and cut a very shallow vertical slot up the outside of the lifter to allow the air to bleed off.only trouble is to identify which lifter(s).

Guest carlnut50

More lifter stuff.In the 70's I was a chevy mechanic and GM issued a bulletin about lifter noise on 396/454 engines.Drill a .062" hole in each of the two oil gallery plugs that are in the front of the block behind the camshaft sprocket.It lets air out and doesn't affect oil pressure but a little bit.

Not being familiar with these engines, I don't know if this will work for you. Remove valve cover and lay shop towels over rockers to cut down the mess. With engine idling, uncover one rocker and back off adjustment until clicking occurs. Slowly tighten the adjustment until clicking stops then tighten an additional half to one full turn. If the clicking returns after this adjustment, you have a weak or bad lifter. frown.gif" border="0 <BR>This has worked for me on some Fords and Chevies, don't know about your Packard.

Guest stude8

There may be something good to be said for solid lifters after all. I kind of like idea that maybe you simply do have a, for what ever reason, "Bad" lifter. Do you have a spare to substitute with? Stude8