Gas tank! Restore, "renu", or leave it alone?

Guest Teamsterdug

Guest Teamsterdug

Could someone tell me the best way to deal with an old gas tank situation. Its on a 64yr old car. I was once at a Buick Club judged meet and saw a man who was absolutely fuming because he got docked points for having a painted gas tank. Obviously the tank was originally galvanized. I am going to be faced with the same situation. My tank is in good sound shape but has surface rust. Is there some kind of process to restore the tanks finish within reason to where you wouldn't lose points at a meet. On a previous car I had I spent a lot of money to have the gas tank redone by the new "renu" process. The thing is that they coat it black on the outside. Should I just deal with the surface rust the best I can and call it good enough? Is there a process out there that I just haven't heard of yet? Help please!

Dealing with a gas tank is a two part problem. The first is taking car of the inside of the tank which I will assume you have resolved since your post seems to indicate that at this point you are only concerned about the external appearance. There are several different "galvanized" paints which provide a finish very close to the original galvinized finish for some parts. Since I do not know what vehicle you are restoring, this may not be the best solution, but it may be better than the black finish to which you referred.

Guest Teamsterdug

Ronbarn,<BR> First of all thanks for your response. The auto is a '38 Buick. I have just obtained the car but as of yet have had no gas related problems. I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I do however believe in cleaning up whats ugly and don't mind getting dirty doing it. Can you get a galvanized paint that doesn't look like a cheap aluminum coating? I've never had much luck with those types of paint. I remember using some kind of supposedly "galvanized" paint on some semi rusted up galvanized fence posts once.... Looked tacky. If anyone knows of superior brands I'd like to hear about it. thanks.