split rims

29 Chandler

I am new to this forum so I apoligize if this question has been asked before. We are the new owners of a 1929 Chandler 65 with wood spoke wheels. The car is orginal and has benn in storage for the past forty years. I am working on the wheels first as i want to preserve the wood and metal. There is only a bit of surface rust on the metal. The spokes are all in excellant shape. I plan to epoxy them before they get a fresh coat of paint. Is this a good idea? Also does anyone have a picture of the tool used to compress split rims so one can remove the tire?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Chris

Chris, Welcome to the group. The tool you need is a three armed device that has a hand crank that you turn to compress the rim. PLEASE! Don't try to remove the tires without using this tool. A local fellow had a tire shop distroy all four rims on a late '20's car. It cost over a thousand dollars to buy replacement (not new) rims.

Chris -<BR>The tool you will be looking for at flea markets is a split rim compresser for demountable rims - go figure. They seem to be commonly available from most automotive antique tool vendors.<P>You will notice holes on the rim. The compresser is hooked onto the rim after the tire is deflated, you crank the rim ends towards each other, which pulls one end lower than the other and allows you to slip the tire and tube off. Be sure to take off the tube stem retaining nut if you have brass stems or you'll rip the stem from the tube. The compresser I have is a Pacific Junior. smile.gif" border="0