345 ENGINE IN SCOUT?

aqh

AQH~<BR>The 345 was in very late production Scouts and is rare in a Scout. It was a standard truck engine (I think in their 'Loadstar' series of medium duty trucks) and as such should be readily found in junk yards. It was a pretty robust design; is the 'lost' engine totally unrepairable?<P>Anyway, the 304 v8 was used in quite a few more Scouts and would be easier to find. The original Scouts had a 152 inch four which was one bank of the 304 v8, making the v8 a logical and easy upgrade for IH. I think the 304 and 345 were of the same block design, so you should be able to fit a 304 (or even the four) without a lot of drama. Please excuse me if you already know all this; we had a lot of Scouts when I was in high school and your question brought back a few memories.

AQH, I had a similar situation with a Scout some years back and ended up putting in an International 392 V8 because it was available in good condition. The basic block is the same from the 304,345 and 392 and they all interchange. (A little like small block chevys). That motor was used in their trucks until at least the 80's. A good source would be old school buses. We have a fellow locally (Ohio) that deals in school buses and the 345 engines are still aroun. The advantage of a school bus motor is that most usually it has had good maintence. Just a thought.