1912 buick clutch

Guest dnoz

I have a 1912 buick model 35 with a standard leather cone clutch. When I let the clutch out and go forward, it jerks some. When I let the clutch out with the selector in reverse, it jerks significantly until it gets going. Any thoughts on why reverse and how to address this??<p>[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: dnoznesky ]

I had a similar problem in my '15 Interstate, the clutch would chatter and vibrate briefly upon engagement and after much trial and error including repeated applications of fuller's earth and neatsfoot oil I observed that the clutch shaft bearings were worn giving much sideplay which I could feel by having a friend disengage the clutch while I shook it from side to side, it had about 1/4"play. after new bronze bearings were fitted the problem disappeared,why not examine your clutch in a similar fashion?

Hi.<BR>We have the same at a 1914 La Licorne (french car). It could be that the leather has some slippery spots. Especially when the leather is older. It is often hard to have a smoth starting with leather clutches. Actually only when they are not often used and the leather ist not too old so that you have a good rough surface on the leather with no slippery spots. Rust could be a problem, too. <P>Thomas