Model A steering Wheel Restore?

My partner with a 28' A Truck is in need of what he is calling "recoating" of his steering wheel?? <BR> confused.gif" border="0 <P> What is this process, who does it? What might it cost? Is it worth it?<P>Many thanks.<BR> cool.gif" border="0 <P>James<BR>1954 Chevrolet Sedan

For a natural wood finish steering wheel, just use a normal refinishing process. For a "colored" wheel (not natural wood finish), I have cleaned them, filled any imperfections and used epoxy paint. Works well and lasts a long time under normal driving conditions. Nothing magic about this process.

Thanks for the information. After taking a look at the steering wheel I see that indeed the "plastic" is 80% gone, and it is the process of re-applying this material that he is interested in, anyone? rolleyes.gif" border="0

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Eastwood has a kit for doing it yourself. I have also heard of guys forming "moulds", if you will, with tape and aluminum foil, and pouring epoxy into them, but it was more of a repair to cracks and small amounts of missing plastic. They said to build it up with epoxy, sand it down and paint it. I don't know anyone who offers a restoration service but there probably are some out there. <P> For one missing 80% of the plastic, I'd get a replacement. Reproduction steering wheels are readily available for Model A Fords through Bratton's, Snyder's, Mac's, and pretty much any other Model A parts supplier. I don't think it would be too hard to find a good original at a swap meet, if he prefers to go that route.