Dipstick ID (no, it isn't me!)

Dave@Moon

I have 2 dipsticks which came out of a lot of what I know to be genuine Buick NOS parts frome the late 40's through 1975. They are combination oil filler cap/breather and dipstick with no markings on them except the words "oil", "full", and "add". They both have handwritten tags attached to them which read "BUICK 1022 3165891". Each tag also has a sticker attached which reads (also handwritten) "$7.50, AIS 991". <P>None of the numbers on those tags jive with any parts numbers in the Buick catalog between 1940 and 1964. There is no "Group 1.022", and if there was it would be in among the water pump pieces. The number 3165891 doesn't match any number for breathers or dipsticks, in fact they're all numbered beginning with 11....<P>The cap itself is 1.5" tall, and is made for a 1.5" hole (probably with a short standpipe). The stick is 26 3/8" long, 24" of which is a straight rod riveted to a 4" long piece pointing down from the cap. The "full" mark is 25 1/4" down the rod. It's black in color, with copper wool packing. The cap is very imilar in appearance to Ford breather caps of the late 50's/early 60's. <P>It appears that these things were assembled by hand, although they are by no means homemade or junky in appearance. I'm guessing that they fit a car from somewhere before 1950. <P>Does anybody have any ideas what these sticks fit? confused.gif

Thanks Rick! The stick is straight as an arrow. Someone else told me it might be for a flathead Cadillac, too. But Caddy sticks (he said) are 23.5" long and this one is 26 3/8".<P>These were the only pieces in this lot (2 small cases, which supposedly came from a closed Buick dealer) which were not readily identifiable as Buick NOS. They may be Marquette or something really weird!

I found the shop that day all right. What I haven't been able to find is my book I need to run that part number. (Must had grown legs and took a walk!)<P>If I had to put money on this, I'd have to say '40's Oldsmobile 257 cu.in. flat head 8 cylinder.<BR>Sorry Dave, that's the best I can do for now until I find out who has that book.<P>Rick