Is this a great hobby or what?

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Rivetting your own brake linings to the shoes, now that is fun! I feel like a kid in a candy store. What could be cooler than that? I can't believe how good a job this little tool does. Looks just like a factory job!<P>Can you tell I'm excited?

You won't get any argument with your conclusion from most of us on the DF. But, you failed to mention a key item. What little tool are you talking about? Where did you get it? Some of us may need to get one for our projects. Also, where did you get the brake shoe linings?

The tool is really a two part deal, a rivet upset tool and a bucking bar. Both are made from what appears to be cold formed round bar maybe 3/8" in diameter. It is made to roll the end of tubular and split rivets. I clamped the bucking bar in a vise and struck the upset tool with a hammer. It was about $9.00 from Bratton's Antique Auto Parts. They also offer a fancier model that incorporates the bucking bar and upset tool into one assembly that clamps into a vise, but it's more like $30.00. <P>The linings were from Bratton's as well. The bad news is that, as far as I know, they sell only Model A and AA parts, but surely there are others out there that have similar items for other makes.

Bratton is one of the good guy vendors who is local in Gaithersburg, but sells nationally via catalog, and supports the local club activities - AACA, MAFCA & V-8 willingly. And from what I've seen he does a good job of supplying reproduction parts and services.

Hal, A friend of mine who ran a shop for many years and was a mechanic for Chevrolet in the 30's had one of the old brake lining rivet presses stuck in the back of his garage and I asked what it was and he gave me the whole run down on it, he also helped me load it in the back of my truck and it not sits in my garage. Handy piece of equipment. I have used it several times for other club members here. <BR> <BR>This is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. !!!!!<p>[This message has been edited by 29CHEVY (edited 01-12-2001).]