1956 oldsmobile engine numbers

I would like to know the staring engine numbers for 1956 oldsmobiles. They are found in the shop manual on the first couple of pages under "general information". I just don't have the book.The starting numbers for 1955 are "V400001" to give you an idea of what I am looking for.

The starting number for the 1956 Oldmobile engines is V1000001. Hope this helps you. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cparson@mail.arco.com:<BR><B>I would like to know the staring engine numbers for 1956 oldsmobiles. They are found in the shop manual on the first couple of pages under "general information". I just don't have the book.The starting numbers for 1955 are "V400001" to give you an idea of what I am looking for.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

• 14 years later...
Hi, I am trying to locate the engine number of my 1955 Olds 98. Can anyone help?

Hi:

You will find the engine number on the head on the drivers side just above the exhaust manifold between cyls 1-3.

It will be very hard to see,I suggest that you wipe the area very clean & use a bright light-- Good luck.

I believe the engine number will start with the letter V.

Tom