1932 Stutz DV32 Parts and Whole Car

My cousin has a 1932 Stutz DV32, body made by Ralston or something like that and alot of extra parts for it. It was left to her by her father who spent a GREAT deal of time and money restoring this car in the 60's. There were three of these made for the 1933 Chicago World Fair but this is the only survivor that is known to exist. At this time she wants to get rid of at least the extra parts (mostly mechanical) but is not sure what to ask or where to try and sell them so I told her I would give her a hand since I am a little more experienced using the internet. Now can someone give me a hand...lol How does one find a priceguide for the parts or the car itself? She had an appraiser come look at it about 5-7 years ago, gave her an appraisal and then offered to buy it for that price, what's up with that? Anyway if anybody can steer me in the right direction on a priceguide or how to assess the value of this car please let me know. Also if you are looking for parts for this make of car, drop me an email with what you are looking for and I will pass it on to her so she can go look to see if she has them. Thanks alot,<BR>Christian<BR> christian@firstname.com <BR>P.S. Sorry no photos at all currently, If needed I will try to get some when I visit for Christmas.

• 4 weeks later...

Christian,<BR>You are going about this the right way, establish a honest value on the car before you put it up for sale. There are those that will try to take advantage of your cousin, but doing your home work in advance will make the difference. Regarding the previous post for <A HREF="http://www.manheimgold.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.manheimgold.com</A> <BR>I checked it out and find it lacking. It does not take into consideration custom bodies, like a Rollston that your Stutz has. For 1929 Studebaker Presidents that I am into, this site does not list all bodies styles or that there are two wheel base models and that also makes a difference in value. So, the best bet is to contact a couple reputable appraisers, or auction companies to give you an honest appraisel, if they offer to buy the car on the spot, don't accept the apprasial. You might also want to contact the Classic Car Club of America to see if they have a person to help you with the value of this car. There is a link on the left side of this page to contact the CCCA.

Thanks Mark, I felt the same way about manheimgold.com's price guide. I am trying to contact a couple of auction houses now to see if they can help me with a rough appraisal. They are <A HREF="http://www.rmauctions.com" TARGET=_blank>www.rmauctions.com</A> and <A HREF="http://www.barrettjackson.com" TARGET=_blank>www.barrettjackson.com</A> . The later of the two sold a 1932 DV32 convertible for over 350k...WOW! I know that must have been a really nice and rare car but it got me excited anyway...lol The VIN number of that car and my cousins's car is exactly the same except for the last two digits. Theirs ends with 94 and ours ends with 96, wish I knew what the numbers stood for though smile.gif" border="0<BR>Thanks again,<BR>Christian

I received a couple of emails from people on this board after I posted last time and I wanted to say thank you to them. I unfortunately had to reformat my hard drive shortly after that and lost all my emails frown.gif" border="0 so I am sorry I didn't write back. I also have some photos of this car now that you can find by clicking<A HREF="http://www.straitnet.com" TARGET=_blank>Here</A>. Thanks again and if anyone can give me any more information about this car I would appreciate it. We are trying to get a good idea of it's value before we start looking at offers.

• 4 months later...

Hi Christian,<P>The 350k I believe is what RM (see rmcars.com) is asking for a DV32 Dual Cowl which is about the most desirable body you can get. I think there was only 2 or 3 made. This car was in Arizona in January where it didn't sell but is super nice. Your car is a four door sedan (although with custom body work) which will not bring as much money. Also, from the pictures the car probably needs re-restoration which on a car that size can run real money. A couple of years a go a dv32 super bearcat sold for around 230k unrestored, but again that is a really desirable body. Last August a DV32 Bearcat Speedster got a top bid of 110k at Bonhams and Brooks but did not sell. A year ago a 4 door sedan (close in appearnce to your car) failed to sell at Bridgehampton with a top bid of 25k which was 1/2 the low estimate.<P>Al

Hey cousin,<BR> here is an off beat thought, I have worked extensively with senior classics such as 31-36 Packard 12 & super8 and have worked on the Stuz as well.and Chrylser Custom Imperial 31-33. Now, being a craftsman I don't have enough to buy and sell those cars even though i work them, but I do keep my eyes open I have learned this:<BR> 1.You are going to hear alot of BULL about what it is worth& it needs this and that.<BR> 2. the guys who aren't interested in buying will usually say its worth this and that and just and unfortunately a an open car of the same class/model is worth much more than a closed car period.<BR> 3. And the guys who are interested are going to chew you down as much as possible.<BR> 4. So after you study everyone's input you will either get some one who REALLY WANTS a 4dr DV-32 or a bunch of tire kickers.<BR> 5. IT IS HARD to get an honest price because alot of guys are looking that deal to turn over, believe me I have worked for people that buy and sell all over.<BR> 6. So put in what you want for a<BR> price and the response you get will tell you if you are in the ball park AND REMEMBER you can always come down but you can't go up. <BR> 7. You may sit on this car for a year or more before you get the price you want.<BR> LASTLY. <BR> You folks,<BR> have beatiful car rare as it may be why not enjoy it. It an engine that will cruise comfortably at todays speed limits and it has Hydaulic brakes the size that some pickup trucks today wished they had. This is car fully well capable of be driven around and enjoyed why not have some fun with it instead?

I really have to agree with a lot of what is being said here,... I had the opportunity to drive a 1932 DV32 Dietrich model back in the 1980's,.. it was an experience,.... but then, it had a $57,000 restoration. I understand the car sold from the estate for $110,000,... that was about 1990. The owner had it restored for his 80th birthday, and drove it every chance he could, he had owned the car since 1948, and it was his last full restoration. I would advise against selling off the parts, as anyone buying the car should be willing to recompense you an adequate sum to get them,... parts often undersell their value when not attached to a car, especially one like the DV32. As I recall, prior to the restoration, the car was appraised at $75,000,... so the $57,000 restoration did not net the full value+restoration $132,000.<BR>These are 1980's values, of course. Custom bodies place cars in the realm of "what you can get for it, it is worth." If it were my car, I would sit on it, place the parts in airtight storage, and begin showing the car until the right buyer came out to see it. If this was an inherited car,... you have to look at it realistically,... what have they got invested in it, and how much do they enjoy having it? An older restoration HOLDS it's value only if it is maintained, so the longer it sits without someone to care for it and love it,... where is it headed? tongue.gif" border="0

• 1 year later...