Wanted: Early Purolator or AC Oil Filters, Late 20's to Early 30's

Wanted N.O.S. Purolator (or A.C.) brand oil filters from the late 1920's to the early 1930's. These are not the modern spin-on type of oil filter, nor are they the paper cartridge type that you insert into the filter-can in your car. These are large black sealed filter cans that contain the filtering element. So in this respect, they are similar to the modern spin-on oil filter. However, they do not connect to your engine in a spin-on fashion. Instead, a fairly small manifold bolts or screws to the top of these replaceable filters. Oil lines connect the manifold to your engine. To change the filter cartridge, one would unscrew or unbolt the manifold from the filter cartridge, and would then discard it. <P>The cartridge would be approximately 8" long, and 4" in diameter, depending on the application. The can is sealed with an opening(s) on one end, along with a protruding threaded bolt or bolt holes, again depending upon the application. Frequently, two decals appear on the filter. One is the PurOlator decal. It says, among other things, "Replace Every 8000 Miles". The second decal is to note the mileage of the car when the filter cartridge was last replaced.<P>The Purolator numbers for some of these filters would show on the cartridge. For example, stamped into the metal at the top of the can and under the paint would be an "S". Then, nearby the "S" would be a white paint printed number such as "2". Therefore, this would be a PurOlator S-2. Other examples of filter numbers would be SA-2, SG-2, SG-4, EA-1/2, E-2, EA-2, R-1, R-2, etc. <P>The AC filters would be basically as described above. Examples of AC filter numbers would be W-16, W-17, W-5, XG-1, XB-1, XK-1, XN-1, etc.<P>Any leads would be appreciated. Thank you!<P>[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: James Meehan ]<p>[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: James Meehan ]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi <BR>Saw your post about Purlator filters. Are you collecting these filters for your use or to have reproduced?<BR>I have one NEW Purlator filter as described the number on the top is R-4, and has an AC distributor, with a shut off valve, inlet and outlet fittings, three bolts hole distributor onto body. I have price of $75.00<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

• 5 months later...

I had a filter made by Henry Yeska of Nanareth ,PA !! He makes them for Packards but fit nicely on my Chrysler!They do have a screw top but you would never know it!! Also with decal!!I have a seniour car!Has a cloth filter but all work and look good!!<BR>E-mail astheime@epix.net