54 BUICK STD TRANS SPMODEL 40 NEEDED

BillP ~ I think the Buicks used in "Highway Patrol" were Centurys. As to stick, they should have been, but who knows what was used in making the show. Maybe Broderick Crawford didn't want to shift.<P>Crazy as it sounds, there were some actors who could not drive a stick shift even back in those days. I was involved in the making of the movie, "The Secret Files of J. Edgar Hoover" and the actor [my age or older] who was to drive my car in a close up scene could not drive a stick shift. I ended up driving while looking to my right so that my face could not be seen. The back of my head had its one moment of fame smile.gif ~ hvs

The gears from circa 1940-1955 (lower series)having the short top cover are mostly interchangeable,but check the clutch gear,I have a VG 64-65 40 series clutch gear for sale

That is a rare beast, but very desireable in my opinion. If you can find an Olds 88 (1954-56) with stick shift, that will have the same transmission, but it is another rare beast. Try junkyarddog.com for a tie-in with about 400 salvage yards.<P>Good luck<P>Pete Phillips<BR>'58 Buick Special, 3-speed stick<BR>'54 Buick Century<BR>Ector, Texas<BR>

Hey Pete<BR>This caused me to recall "Highway Patrol", a great TV show I used to watch as a kid in the fifties. Were Broderick Crawford's Buick standard or Dynaflow?

The California Highway Patrol's '55 Buick Centurys were indeed 3-speed stick shift cars, in a 2-door sedan. They were specially made for the CHP, as I understand, because 2-dr. sedan Centurys were not available to the general public. One of these cars was at the BCA National Meet in Sacramento in 1991. Regarding the Broderick Crawford Highway Patrol Buicks, I'm not sure. My Dad wouldn't allow television in the house until 1968!<P>Pete Phillips<BR>BCA #7338

I am pretty sure that I have standard trans from a 54-55 40-50 series. Send me some casting numbers off the housing and your e-mail address. If you are interested and it is the correct one, I want $225.00 for it. The guy that I got it from said that it came from a running car. I am in Calaifornia, by Long Beach.<BR> <BR>Fred