1932 Pontiac Roadster Coupe

The first v-8 was in a 1915 Cadillac, about one month before the KING automobile started production of a v-8. The Cadillac used as much oil as it did gasoline and they stopped production of the v-8 in about 6 months. The KING kept on with the v-8 until they went out of business in 1924.

The first V-8's, PLURAL were DeDion Bouton AND Marmon, in 1905,.. both were air-cooled pair-cast blocks mounted on the same crank. By 1915, nearly everyone had designed either 8's or 12's to put in their cars. Even Willy's Knight had a V-8 in 1917-1918,...I'd look this up before stating that it was Chevy, Cadillac or any car in the mid-teens who developed the 8. And let's not forget, Ball Bearings were around as far back as 1906, but only one car used them,..the Maytag!<P> If one wants to be technically accurate, the first monoblock v-8 was developed by Northway in 1912,...but it was never used,...Pierce-Arrow, Cole, and King used a block that separated down the middle, which was, for a time, the ONLY successful method which did not use too much oil. Northway made the Cole and later, the Cadillac V-8's.<BR>Cole came out with it's V-8 late in 1915, and it failed to be first due to the fact it was the first to use an aluminum alloy piston, they were forced to delay the release of the motor due to the fact they had been trying to use an all-aluminum piston, and it would seize up in the motor as it was being driven, due to the differences in iron and aluminum heat expansion. If you want to inquire as to whether the Cole was a dependable engine,..ask Buck Kamphausen about<BR>how his 1919 Cole ran in the Great Race a few years back,...he came in third,...and I don't believe they had any problems to speak of. By the way,..in the old days, Pike's Peak was run with the car locked in high gear, and Cole V-8's won in 1915- 1916- and 1918. If you want to see complex, I have a 1918 sales flyer for the Willy's Knight V-8, with the sleeve-valve engine,....it was being designed in 1914. Now,...should we talk about the first V-8's,...or the ones who were successful?<P><BR>RS<P>[This message has been edited by IndianaCarGuy (edited 01-17-2001).]<P>[This message has been edited by IndianaCarGuy (edited 01-17-2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by IndianaCarGuy (edited 01-17-2001).]

No, I'm not, Mercedes, DeDion Bouton, Genescette (two four cylinder blocks mounted over one crank), and about 5 other specially built cars raced. As I recall, not one of the V-8's actually finished. That the one you mean? Mercedes dropped the V-8 design after that, and went in for HUGE volume straight 8's. Locomobile attempted (successfully) on three pair-cast blocks over a bronze block with a single crank,... Best running large displacement 6 I ever heard!<P>RS<P>RS<p>[This message has been edited by IndianaCarGuy (edited 01-18-2001).]

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ty:<BR><B>Looking for information on a 1932 Pontiac Roadster Coupe. Does this auto have the first V-8engine ever made. If you know anything about this automobile or the V-8 engine please email me at tyhall@apex.net Thank you </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Ty,<BR>I have a 1932 Pontiac 6 that I have owned for 20 about 24 years. I would enjoy keeping in touch. My e-mail is robrguzz@aol.com. <BR>Rob Guzzetta<P><BR>