1920s Gasoline Vacume Tanks???

Does anyone know of a place where I could get a float made for a 1928 Durant gasoline Vacume Tank??<BR>My Model 75 usually runs like a champ, but now the float has hairline cracks and is not "floating" anymore!!<BR>Just thought I would try!! :-)

Durant,<P>Virtually all stewart vacuum tanks are the same on the inside. Although there are several variations, the guts from one will fit most others. The biggest difference between tanks is the size: the outside tank size might vary but the insides are all pretty much the same. <P>Vacuum tanks show up regularly at swap meets/flea markets. Often the outer tank is dented or the top plate (pot metal) is broken but the float is fine.It NEVER hurts to have extra on hand.<P>If you supply me with an email address I can send some Stewart info on repairing the float.<P>Neil<BR>yesterdayonceagain@yahoo.com

Has anyone ever just given up and installed a electric pump to fill the empty vacume tank?? How would the pump know when to stop (as to not overfill the tank)???<BR>any help would be appreciated!!

Hey you all, this is a good one. A bunch of us has had the same problems with vacuum tanks and the obvious question of when to give up and go electric. PLEASE transfer this to either the General or Technical sections of this forum and keep it on line rather than separate email so more of us will get the benefit of the experience. I almost missed this since I do not check the Buy/Sell as frequently as the other. PLEASE switch and pass on the good words. Thanx!

I have installed a six volt fuel pump on my star. The pump has a pressure regulator installed after the pump (ball valve) and it is only open a little. The pump is wired into a switch on the dash board which allows me to fill the tank before starting. The only disadvantage is that you have to remember to turn off the pump when you shut down. You could wire it to your ignition switch to turn off and on and forget about filling the tank prior to starting. The low volume flow prevents the tank from overflowing. Remember to plug the vacuum line or you will fill up your intake manifold with raw gas

• 4 weeks later...

Have a 24 Studie Big Six that I removed the guts and put a 6 volt fuel pump (wired to turn on with ignition switch)with a 1 pound regulator in fuel line. It worked fine unless I idled too long then it just blew fuel past the carb float. I then put an overflow from the gutted vacuum tank back to the tank and this usually works fine. I think though because of this the fuel pump will cavitate because it does not shut off. It just takes patience. I'm looking for a vac. tank to return to the way it should be. I just enjoy driving the car.<BR>John

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred Rawling:<BR><B>I have a loose vacuum tank float and a box full of vacuum tanks. $4.00 plus priority mail for the float or $17.00 plus UPS for a vacuum tank if I have what you want. Send a discription and measurements if you are interestd and I will check out what I have to see if they are right.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>My dad is looking for a vacumn fuel tank<BR>for a 1927 Star. Please respond to<BR>car_restorer@hotmail.com<P>

I put an inline electric fuel pump on my car (the diapharam type not rotary) and then hid a momentary contact type switch under the dash. I use the electric to prime the vaccumn pump then run on the vaccumn pump as it "pulls" through the electric pump. I f the car hiccups i just touch the switch for a second or two to "boost " the orig fuel pump. works fine<BR> Bill

No problem! A new float is easily made from two aluminum Coke cans as follows:<BR>1) Buff the paint off the two cans (best done while Coke is still in the cans)<BR>2) Cut the bottoms off the cans leaving about 1 1/2" of the sides (i.e. the same height as the old float)<BR>3) Coat one of the can sides with epoxy glue and insert inside the other can (Note Coke cans are manufactured with such accuracy that you will need to cold work one of the cans to get it to fit inside the other can. Do this by lightly hammering the sides to stretch the metal)<BR>4)Drill holes in the ends of the new float and epoxy in place to the old tank stem.<P>I did this on my 1929 Dodge about 3 years ago and its been working perfectly ever since.<BR>

Drinking the coke was a stroke of genus. IF you wish to try and save the old float clean the outside well and make sure that the float doesn't have any liquid inside, coat the float with gas tank sealer and let dry. should be good as new.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...