air cleaner

I'm looking for an air cleaner to fit<BR>a Carter AFB 4bbl that is on a 57 364cid.<BR>It doesn't need to be the stock one just<BR>something to fit. Every thing I've found<BR>is the wrong opening size. Thanks<BR>dave

I took the lid of a Mopar Slant 6 air cleaner and cut a hole in it with a hole saw and used that as the air cleaner base for the 4bbl on my '54. The hole saw I've got doesn't have it's size on it, but just take the gasket and match it up.<BR>I'm using a '55 Caddy aircleaner for the top of it, and it matched to the recesses on the top surface of the Slant's air cleaner lid. Got lucky.<BR>If you just want an open element air cleaner, get two lids and holesaw one of them and use it as the bottom. Then go to the parts store and look for an air filter element that fits. K&N has any size you could need.<BR>Hope this helped.<BR>-Brad

The earlier AFBs, from about '67 back in most cases, use a smaller air horn mounting "circle" than the later AFB versions now available and the similar Holley carbs now available. There is an adapter you can purchase to make the air cleaners with the larger base plate hole adapt to the smaller mounting circle of the earlier carbs. You might need to adjust or replace the air cleaner stud for something a little longer also.<P>

NTX5467,<P>Do you have a manufacturer and part number for this adapter? I was looking for such an adapter and gave up and had to buy a generic 5 1/8" opening air cleaner. All the adapters I found were for the opposite situation (small carb top to large air cleaner)<BR><P>------------------<BR>

I had a friend in high school that had the same problem on a '65 Barracuda. He had bought the car from a stripper (not the kind that strip cars shocked.gif ) and she had run it without an air cleaner for so long that it now had a top speed of 35mph while blowing a cloud of smoke behind it. We had a good laugh. <P>Tomsriv <p>[This message has been edited by Tomsriv (edited 01-22-2001).]

Thanks everyone for your advice.<BR>What I ended up doing was getting<BR>an adapter from classicbuick.com.<BR>It goes from my small carb to fit<BR>any 5 1/8" air cleaner of which there<BR>are plenty. Never heard of an adapter<BR>that goes the other way or why you<BR>would want to.

Wouldn't that adapter from small carb opening to larger air cleaner opening work upside down if you wanted to use the original air cleaner on a new carb?