425 nail head making power

hi every one i have a 64 buick wildcat conv. with a 425/st400 console/bucket seats//my ? is i wanna make 400 hores power to get this car in to the 13.40 to 13.20 range for the 1/4 mile what mods would u make to get there /the car has run 14.70 at 91 mph its stock with dual exaust 2 1\4 carter 600 cfm. vac. second/tha car also has posi trac with what i think is 3.70 gears/in my opion i need to pick up about 100/125 hp to get to my goal hop0efully this can be answered with out to much trouble /second part of question is will this motor which is fresh rebuild handle an additional 125/150 nitrous shot /and will the tranny hold up which is also fresh build but stock//my ultimate goal is very strong in the 13`s all motor and low 12`s on the juice will it handle it or sould i sell the car and remember im gonna try all this and see whats mythe and whats real about the nailhead making power thank for any info i wanna go fast if u would like e-mail me at scforhire@aol.com with any info

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scforhire:<BR><B>hi every one i have a 64 buick wildcat conv. with a 425/st400 console/bucket seats...<BR>will this motor which is fresh rebuild handle an additional 125/150 nitrous shot?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Don't mess this great old car up by running nitrous... do that to an old Chevy or something. Besides, nitrous is such a <B>lame</B> way to make power.<P>Just my opinion...<P>Matthew<P><p>[This message has been edited by 67GSCalif (edited 08-09-2000).]

hi every one i just read something that really gets to me i posted a two part question someone responded/with im lame for running nitrous/ they didnt answewr any part of the ? i posted/so now who or what is really lame running n02 or making an opinion<BR>that u cant seem to back up/if u tell me where i can find 150hp somewhere else for cheaper im all ears/but first read the ? and answer the first part

Keep in mind its a heavy car (and always will be). Find out for sure what the rear end is. 3.70 would be nice, my guess is its more like 3.08 or lower. I little more converter<BR>would defenitly help. A switch pitch TH400 would make street life easer and still let you run a 3000 or 4000 stall converter. The 425 has fewer options for upgrages, but you should be able to find a bit more cam and go to a slightly larger carb (750-800 cfm). Headers would help, don't know where to find them though. Or, you could switch to a 455. Lots of goodies available there. Work on getting to 13.99 first. Then decide if you want to go further. My guess is if you get it to go low 13's on motor only, you won't like driving it on the street.

Dont know if you know these following companies or not but each one is dedicated to Buick most everybody on this board probably knows about them already.<P><BR> <A HREF="http://www.paeenterprises.com/paeframe.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.paeenterprises.com/paeframe.html</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/ideapage/poston/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://members.aol.com/ideapage/poston/index.html</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.taperformance.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.taperformance.com/</A> <P>

Yes: you can do the Nitrous , and would go that way if it was my car.<BR>Stock cast pistons can handle up to 150 HP Nitrous with no problem. (I know and have seen guys running 200HP on cast, but don't do it).<BR>You shouldn't (but nothins for sure) have any problems with your stock parts handling the N2O, but don't go putting a set of slicks on and hitting the bottle for a dead stop, things will break!<BR>If you do the N2O (and you may already know this) DO NOT SPARE ANY EXPENSE IN THE FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM FOR ANY REASON.<BR>IF YOU LOOSE FUEL PRESSURE YOU WILL LOOSE THE MOTOR. (or at least the pistons).<BR>I have used it on street cars for years and its great!<BR>Dale

I have a few of the goodies on my Gran Sport that you are thinking about, the car is about 800 to 1000 LBs lighter and runs 13.80s at 99.MPH. Your asking alot, but it isn't impossable. Start with the VP ST400 and either a stock two four with two 625 Comp AFB's or an Edelbrock B262. If you port out the exhaust manifolds and a low restriction exhaust with some Dynomax 2 1/2" mufflers, you will get it down there a lot closer. <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

hi everyone just a quick note/i was wondering something /if a car that weighs 4.000pds and one weighs 3.000pds and the lighter car was appx. 1sec and 10 mph faster in the 1/4 would that translate into both cars making the same horsepower /if u use the 100pds = 1mph 1/10 of a sec rule of thumb?if im wrong please let me know just a question

The 425 has really small exhaust ports. I<BR>have read about a lot of build-ups on <BR>Nailheads, but no matter what you do...<BR>radical cam, bigger carbs, timing, etc, you<BR>are never gonna get really high HP. If you<BR>are crafty Im sure you can get past 500 ft/lbs of torque. For several THOUSAND dollars, you can have the valvetrain moved<BR>(yes, reloated and re-welded) to allow <BR>slightly bigger exhaust valves. And it would<BR>work out to be a guess of 300-500 dollars<BR>per HP. So forget that!<P>My recomendation is to take drastic measures.<BR>Im very convinced that without assisted<BR>aspiration, you are never gonna get far<BR>above 500 HP.. much less ever break 6500-7000<BR>RPMs. BDS (Blower Drives and Service) sells<BR>a 671 blower kit for the 401/425. It looks<BR>as mean as the son of satan. Big bucks! Or,<BR>there have been protoype turbocharged<BR>Nailheads that have.. says rumor.. broke<BR>700 HP. The basic problem is Nailheads will<BR>break your neck with torque, but they cant<BR>breathe well enough to make the high RPMs. <BR>Myself, Im saving up for the blower, but<BR>the recent purchase of a house in New England<BR>has put a dent in my finances.. next year!<P>Good luck... hope this helps..<P>Sources for Nailhead info.. articles in<BR>* Street Rodder (Nailhead buildup)<BR>* Rod n Custom<P>-Mark Kulacz<BR>66 Riviera