Super Turbine 300

I have a super turbine 300 automatic trans fron a 65 Skylark GS. What is this trans. Is it a turbo 350? Is it a two speed or a three speed? Does it bolt to a later model 350?<BR>Any info will be greatly appreciated.<BR>Thanks Jamie

No, it's not a TH350, It is a two speed, but with a variable pitch torque converter, sort of like giving you four speeds. It will bolt to any motor with the BOP pattern. I have a '65 Skylark and when the ST300 blew at after about 225,000 miles I installed a TH350 (it bolted in, basicly), and works well, I do miss the VP though. <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

Guest John Chapman

Super Turbine 300's (ST300) were used in the Buick Special/Skylark/GS (A Body)/LeSabre (B body). Buick used this trans with the 225 V6, 300 and 401 (marketed as 400 in GS) V8s. It was in production from '64 to '68. The 425 in the big cars got the ST 400.<P>The same transmission was used by Oldsmobile as the 'Jetaway' transmission on the F-85/Cutlass/442 (A-body) and the Jetstar/Delta 88 (B-body) behind the 330 Rocket engine.<P>The ST 300 is a two speed, Buick-Olds-Pontiac(BOP) only bolt-pattern with 1.64:1 1st and 1.00:1 2nd, sharing no parts with the Power Glide. It has an electric powered solinoid that activates internal hydraulic control of a two pitch (stall speed) torque converter. High speed stall is engaged by two electrical switches, one on the throttle linkage (idle speed switch) that sets high speed stall with the trottle closed to unload engine at idle. The other switch is the transmission control switch to the left side of the carb that sets high speed stall during WOT operation to allow faster engine accelleration. The default operating state is low speed stall.<P>Pontiac used the ST300 with a fixed stator torque converter in the same body series cars. It was marketed as the 'TempestTorque' transmission. I was used behind the 215 I6, and the 326 and 389 V8s in the A and B body cars.<P>In some of the lighter applications (I6, mainly) the ST300 transmission was air cooled and had an open bell housing and cooling fins on the torque converter. The rest utilized transmission coolers integrated into the radiator.<P>Yes, it will bolt to a Buick 350... Why would anyone do such a thing? Check the Aug '00 issue of Hot Rod for a 200R4 bolt in modification project.<P>Cheers,<BR>John<P>------------------<BR>John Chapman<BR>BCA 35894<BR> jmchapman@aol.com <P><p>[This message has been edited by John Chapman (edited 07-08-2000).]