53 Buick Trunk Too Small - Need SMALL Trailer

TomE_1953

Bet you thought you would EVER hear anybody say that a 1953 Buick Roadmaster's trunk was TOO small! Well, when we pack to go on a road trip we have to take all the "spare parts" in case of 'mishaps' on the way and they all go in the trunk. So we end up filling up the back seat with suit cases and other items for the trip.<BR>We've all seen those small motorcycle trailers on the road and I saw a few cars pulling them now. I want to know if anybody has "Small Trailer Plans/Blueprints" on how to build one.

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I have the same problem. After you add jumper cables, gas can, floor jack, jack stands, wheel chocks, a vast array of fluids,<BR>cleaners, and a tool box, yes most of the time the suitcase goes in the back seat.<P>I also carry : fuel pump, voltage reg., water pump, gen, starter, belts, hoses, vacuumm lines, tune up parts, and lets not forget, front wheel bearings & seals, and an extra touque ball seal.<P>Most is easy to fix, but when you are out of town, and on the raod, the last thing you want to do is look, and wait for parts.<P>Scott Mich<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagolnd Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88

I just looked in my Northern Tool catalogue ("northerntool.com"...nope, not connected with them...just have the catalogue handy) and they have utility trailers (40" x 48", and another 4'x8') if you want to go that route...though I can't help you directionally with the "hot rod" trailers that have become popular - guess it depends on how close you are to the trip and what you can adapt/build/buy. If you do what the hot rod type trailer - I suggest you get onto some of the websites - they must have sources. <P>I do know what you mean about what is the best "emergency pack" to stow away. I guess I'd try to minimize the tools/parts by "realistically" figuring what you can fix on the road...although I have had to carry a small hydraulic jack and jackstand as previously mentioned - to get underneath....and the fluids too. Good luck with how you decide. (Personally, I never go far enough that I'm not pushing the "favor button" too far that some buddies aren't really put out by hauling me back with their trailer....yeah, I know, it's nice to have friends with equipment like that..)