intake manifold

An aluminum 4bbl intake from a Buick 300 will NOT fit a Buick 350 at all. It is much too narrow and the ports do not match up. There are aftermarket aluminum intakes for the 350 that will work. TA Performance has one.<P>Greg

Josh, yes you CAN put an aluminum intake on cast iron heads. This is done all the time. My 1987 GMC pick-up has a 2.8 V-6 with a factory aluminum intake and cast iron heads.<BR>Since the two metals are dissimular, I recomend FelPro brand Teflon coated gaskets or Graphite covered gaskets. I put them on 6-yrs. ago and never had a leak. I hope this info helped. Jon D.

IMHO, this question is not about dissimilar metals, but rather if a '64 300ci 4-bbl manifold (which happened to be aluminum) will properly mate to a 65-67 300ci engine.<P>This question gets asked a lot. The answers that I've seen before indicate that the 1964 300 ci aluminum manifold will only fit that year's engine. <P>------------------<BR>

I owned a 67 Skylark with a stock 300 2 barrel engine, bought a stock aluminum 1964 300 4-barrel intake from a friend and installed it. I too used the fel pro gaskets and had no problems or leaks of any kind. No retro fit at all.....The new owner has had no problem either.

The problem with dropping the 64 aluminum intake on the 65-67 300 is two fold. First, the 64 intake is water heated while the later intakes are heated by exhaust gasses plumbed through the heads. When the 64 intake is use on the later engines, those exhaust passages in the cast iron heads HAVE to be blocked up, or an exhaust leak can result. I couldn't swear to you if just using 64 style gasket could do the job. Second issue: The intake ports in the 65-67 cast iron heads are larger than the aluminum 64 heads. So... using the 64 intake will result in a slight port mismatch... and... any power gains you'd hoped to pick up may not come about. <BR> Anyway, this is why most people say to only use the alloy 4bbl intake with the alloy heads. Cast iron 4bbl's for the 300 came only one year, 1965, and they are rare, but available if you look.<P>Greg

• 2 weeks later...