1989 dies about every 20 miles

I have to opportunity to buy '89 coupe from a good friend, I always wanted a Reatta! He has advised us of this problem but no solution - car starts right up, but after driving about 20 miles, it will die. Wait a few minutes, it starts back up, but the cycle can continue. I don't want to endanger myself or others in Dallas area traffic, any suggestions, or referral to a good mechanic in Dallas or Ft Worth?

Guest C.F.Massie

Does you friend have the Factory Service Manual (FSM) and if so you should run the diagnostics before you go any further? If there is no FSM bring up the climate control screen on the CRT, press the OFF and WARM buttons at the same time and this will bring up the diagnostics screen. Document any codes which appear and post them here and I'm sure the Reatta owners here can help you with any problems or at the least give you good sound advice. I know the Metro traffic can be a pain for anyone who drives there and I definitely understand your concern. Good luck, I hope you get a good Reatta and please join us on this site, it's the best site I've been associated with bar none!!

Does it die sooner on a hot day. Start quicker if you open the hood ? Making a guess but suspect the ESC may be failing when hot. Is one of a very few single point failures that will kill the engine and prevent restart until cooled off.

Actually, I got a little more info on the problem... this only happens if the gas tank is between 3/4 and full - once drops to 3/4 or lower, she drives all day long.<BR>My buddy has the FSM, we'll get the car today or tomorrow, on trial, so I'll try my luck with the diagnosing...<BR>any suggestions are moset surely appreciated.<BR>Thanks again.

Hmm, perhaps the gas tank is not venting. This will not allow atmospheric pressure into the tank resulting is a vacuum in the tank and no gas out to the engine.<P>Older cars had a vented gas cap. Your Reatta has several lines from the tank to the engine. One line probably goes to the black charcoal canister, I think by the left front of the car. The canister collects fuel vapor when the car is parked and purges it into the engine when running. An obstruction in this circuit can cause the engine stopping every 20 miles you are encountering. <P>To test, fill the tank and leave the gas cap on loose and test drive the car. If it doesn't stall, could be the problem. smile.gif" border="0

• 11 years later...