Headlight Op Question

I have a 1988 Reatta hard top with 51k miles. Could someone please describe the correct operation of the headlights? When I push the actual headlight button, the lights come on, but they don't surface. Pushing the light retract button on the center console raises the lights. This makes turning on the headlights a two-step process, which works fine, but doesn't seem exactly right. Other than this, everything on this car is perfect...<P>Stu Kinniburgh

Sounds like a bad connection. The lamp retract button should keep the lights up, not raise them. Since it does, the raising mechanism is not being powered when you turn the switch on (bet it does not raise the lights if pressed when they are not on).<P>Naturally my schematics are 1,000 miles away.

The last time I tried to help someone pushing their headlight buttons, I got in trouble.......<P>Since the headlights work we don't need to address that part except at the same time a voltage signal is sent to the "headlight door module" to open the doors. This is not happening when you push the left button.<P>When you push the console button the doors open, that voltage signal also goes to the "headlight door module" but to a different terminal.<P>Here are the possible problems starting at the headlight switch.....<BR>*bad connection at sw (yellow wire)<BR>*bad connection at C201 connector (a 118 pin connector behind the instrument panel)<BR>*bad connection at the headlight door module<BR>This is located under the air cleaner and relay center on the drivers side of the engine compartment.<BR>* bad headlight door module (I think this is the least likely part since the module works with the other button.

I believe I had the same problem you describe. The problm was a blown diode that is located near the center console fuse block. If you take off the passenger side covers and look in the area where all the wiring is routed to the fuse block, you should see a connector with a diode in it.<BR>I replaced it with a 1n4006 diode you can get cheap at Radio Shack. <BR>The old one was so badly charred that I couldn't tell which direction to put it in. I touched it one way and it immediately got hot, I reversed it and the retract works properly now.

I checked the diode and it was so fried that it was nearly disintegrated. I went to Radio Shack and alas, they no longer stock that diode, but one is winging it's way to me via post office. Thank you for the prompt answers!