Emerg. Brake cable

I think I may need a new E brake cable. Can I use one from a Riviera (or other car) or does it have to be from a Reatta. What about the year, does it have to be the same???

Why do you think you need a new cable?<BR>Have you used up all the adjustment?<P>There are four pieces.<BR>Part 1 starts at the pedal asm and goes under the car..maybe 18 inches long.<BR>Part 2 runs the length of the car and terminates in the center of the rear susp.<BR>this part is Reatta only because the Riviera is longer.<BR>Part 3 and 4 go from the center of the rear susp to each wheel.

Not exactly sure why I think I need a new cable... Husabnd was trying to fix it (in Manitoba, all used vehicles bought/sold have to be "safetied" before you can insure them, our Reatta failed this section) He took apart the part that attaches to the rotor, replaced the rotor, reattached the E brake after lubricating it & it still would not work. It would catch but not release. Are we missing something here? Is it not the cable?

I may have my info wrong here, but it was the passanger side rear rotor that we had to replace. I was just told to ask if we needed a Reatta cable or if another would do. Thnx.

Guest Greg Ross

Some Part numbers for you;<BR>Cable, Left Rear 1642481<BR>Adjuster 25515644<BR>Equalizer 25515645<BR>Cable, Right Rear 1642673<BR>These parts should be generic to FWD GM cars of this era.<P>To keep these Emergency Brake Cables limber and to secondarily adjust the rear calipers, the Emerg. Brake should be applied a minimum of once a week I'm advised.

Repeating symtom...it will catch but not release.<P>If the foot pedal works but will not release, then I would suspect the pedal mechanism. <P>If the rear caliper works but not releases, I would suspect the caliper......unless your husband suspects the cable is binding somewhere..... then he needs to find the section with the problem and replace that section.

• 2 years later...

(Another trip to the past from me...)

For reference, my local dealer says these two cable numbers are discontinued. Other parts are still available. Any tips on what to use for E-brake cables? Found my right one has the jacket cut completely around just aft of the caliper mount. This is after I removed it from the caliper prior to a caliper change. Short of a yard visit, roll-my-own scenario, or used source, any tips?

Hey, Canadian Girl:

Leave the husband there to work on the Reatta; shine the miserable weather, and trip on down here to the Mexican Riviera and spend some time with a lovable, adorable, four-foot-tall fuzzy alien. Margaritas are awaitin'!

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span> wink.gif