Engine, Trans, Resurrection Advice Needed

Hi folks, long time!<P>I haven't vivited in a LONG time. I guess the up side is that my '88 is so reliable.<BR>I'm at 182k miles on all original gear and my trans is slipping. I think this might be my plan, any advice?<P>Aamco trans, about $1500<BR>Aamco lifetime warrantee, $500<BR>Neco Reman Engine, $2,699<BR>(5 yr 100k mile warrantee)<P>What's the consensus? All advice welcome.

Paul before I would replace the tranny I would first change the filter and oil and try a product called TransX. It is one of the few products that I have had excellent luck with. It cleans the valve body and also it swells the rubber piston seals so they seal tighter which increases the pressure the piston puts on the friction discs. I have had about 85% sucess rate with this stuff unless the tranny is obviously damaged.

Before I replaced the 3800 and trans, I would contact the person who put the V8 in his Reatta. He indicated it was a drop in, and quite a manageable project. It was suggested GM planned the Reatta for this motor in 91 or 92. If this is the Caddy 4.5L, it will vastly outperform the 3800 without too much cost in mileage. The ultimate cost would be comparable to your estimates. I would not, of course, do this to a convertible, as there seems a good prospect these will become classics, but the coupes are not going in this direction very fast, so tweaking shouldn't cost you much at time of sale.

A lot of the "mechanic in a can stuff" is snake oil but I have been very impressed with that stuff. It is not a miracle cure but if there is any hope at all for Your tranny that is it. Hope it helps

• 2 weeks later...