Steering wheel removal

I just spent over $400 to have the ignition switch replaced, most of which (280) was for the 4 hrs Buick says it takes to do it . I would like to have the wheel recovered and need to know the abc's of removal. I have a service manual but .... simple step 1 etc would be appreciated. I also suffer from the dreaded loose wheel, but I know that gets a lot more complicated.

The steering whell's easy to deal with, but the procedure is different for the '88-89 and the '90-91. I can give you specifics on the '90-91 if you need it, but first check out Tom Jenkin's site at <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net/faq.html#STEERING" TARGET=_blank>http://www.reatta.net/faq.html#STEERING</A> <P>It's about as detailed as you'll probably need. Just unplug the battery before working on a '90-91, as you don't want the airbag to deploy by mistake.<P>LOL and I hope this helps.

My reatta's are both 90's. I knew about the airbag. So it's as simple as 4 screws and a wheel puller? Any wiring need to be disc? horn? I see from Tom's list it gets hairier to go much farther.

The steering wheel removal is just 4 bolts in the bach of the wheel for the air bag (maybe torx or 10mm). Pull the bag out a bit and there will be a plug. There is norily a extra piece of plastic locking the pug together. Remove that lock. Unplug the plug. Don't touch the plug put the bag in a safe place away from you outside facing up. GM normily have a clip at the top of the column. Remove the clip. Remove the bolt at the top of the column (I want to say 7/8"). Notice where the stamp wheel alignment marks sit between the shaft and the wheel. Norrmily at both right at 12:00 with the wheels strait (I would also put your wheels strait just to make it easyier to remember). Remember your wheel may be gone for some time so if it's not clear or right on I would make a scrach in the wheel metal to show where the mark is on the shaft. Take your steering wheel puller (if you can't find one I have extra new ones I can send you for $9.00 including shipping) and find the 2 bolts that thread in the bottom of the wheel. Put them thru the puller and into the extra 2 holes in the wheel. Do not tighten them too far so that they go thru the other side of the wheel and dammage the clockspring. Tighten the puller. And there is your wheel.<P>The shop that fixed you ignition should have offered to tightened your wheel play problem for a few more dollars because they were right there. Maybe They didn't notice it was loose. <P>Like I said before unhooking the battery sill does not mean the air bag won't go off. That is a general GM disclaimer that is said with any electrial job. To quote a GM engineer that worked on the air systems then later gave classes on the systems "Unhooking the airbag is a waist of time. You could remove the battery, put it on the bench, wait a few days, and the bag can still go off if 2 of 3 sencers are tripped.". The air bag module has it's own seperate power supply. If you want to be extra safe remove the plastic cover under the dash/column and unplug the yellow conector. Don't have the key on when unpluging the bag or you'll set a code.<P><BR>It's not too hard of a job.<P>Tom

Thanks for the instructions Tom. The dealer really ticked me off. I had to take the car back because they didn't hook up the high beam switch and had to tear the whole thing apart again and this time I pointed out the play (down and to the left on mine). They did nothing to correct the problem and put it back together. I hope to be able to do most future stuff myself with help from this site of course. Did you see my post on abc's vs manual? Your reply on wheel removal is what I meant. Just layman step by step, do this do that etc It works for me.