Door sill plates

My Reatta has an excellent condition tan interior but has what is probably a pretty common defect. The door sill plates are scarred from the seat belt end fittings flopping over on to them and closing the door on them. They arent real bad but I do notice them when the door is opened. Does anyone know if new sill plates are available? I dont see any way to repair these. Anybody know the part # ?

Try sanding down your sill plates, carefully using a Dremel tool if they are really bad! Use finer grits and in the end, #600 WET! They will look dull, but then polish them and use Armorall or some plastic solution and they will look nice! Just a bit of work.

Thanks for the suggestion but sanding the plates down sounds even worse. The problem is in the raised plastic ribs on the plates, the Reatta emblem is ok but the ribs are marred or deformed from the fittings crushing them. Replacement looks like the only way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at a local junk yard today and the Reatta that they have has virtually perfect sill plates. This car was a Buick prototype that was scraped by GM and given to a local junior college auto shop, so there was no need to use seat belts. The car is open to the elements now and has been for the last few months, so don't wait too long to jump on them. I didn't ask them what they wanted for them, but I'm sure they would be at least $50. $50 seems to be their minimum for anything. Let me know if you still need them and I'll dig up their phone number.<BR>John Friese<BR>jfriese@mindspring.com