Radiator Fans

I noticed while looking under the hood with the car running neither of the two fans was running. I know at least one of them runs at timews while sitting in traffic, but is one of these two fans suppose to be running continuously?? If so, which one, and is it most likely a relay?? I really have to get a manual!!......Dan

Yes, Dan you do need to get a service manual. Anyone servicing their Reatta NEEDS a service manual. Period. End of story.<P>Now about the fans. The engine has a 195 degree thermostat and should run at 195 degrees unless stopped in traffic. Then the engine coolant temperature will rise over 200 degrees. At 214 degrees, both fans go to low speed. If the coolant temperature still rises, at 226 degrees, both fans run at high speed. The fans are controlled by the ECM and three relays.<P>If the air conditioning is operating, the fans will run at low speed if the AC high side refrigerant temperature reaches 122 degrees. If the refrigerant temperature reaches 149 degrees, the fans will run at high speed.<P>So if the AC is off and the engine coolant temperature is below 214 deegrees, the fans will be off.<P>Much of the testing of the fans and troubleshooting can be addressed through the graphic display if you are fortunate to own an 88 or 89.

Thanks Russ, I do have an 88, and I definately do need a manual. I was searching through the old postings for an unrelated problem and found that Barney was kind enough to list a few sources for manuals. I am going to try them. <BR>I did notice the fans were coming on at 215f. And it seems as if for some reason the idle drops enough to cause the engine to start surging, but have never stalled, at least not yet. I am guesing one of the fan motors may be on its way out, the resistance building up and draining the electrical system.......I will post my findings after I have time to put a meter on the fan motors......Dan