electric fans

I was stuck in traffic today when I suddenly got the message that my 88 reatta was overheating. I took the first exit and drove down the road with the temp up to cool off the car it worked so I stopped to check the fluid levels. They were okay but I noticed that my cars fans were not on. I checked all of the relays, and the fuses. The fans are good and I have twelve volts going into each of the relays. But if I jump the 1 and 4 pins on the plug where the relay goes, nothing happens. If I jump the fans straight to the battery they run fine. HELP ME PLEASE. I dont know what else to do. I followed the directions in service manual and couldnt get anything to work. I need this to work! Thank you<BR>Ryan Smith(please reply at smithman@home.com)

I was told by a Buick mechanic that the fans are not supposed to come on until the water temperature reaches 225. This seems very high to me but I think it is correct. Was your car really overheating or did you only get this message. It is not uncommon for my 89 to run at 205-215 degrees which is too high for my taste. The thermostat is set for this temp and I'm told if it is replaced with a lower one it will affect other areas of the engine's performance. Any other ideas out there?<P>------------------<BR>

My 89 runs at 192-198 which I thought was too high so I made some checks. With the engine at idle with A/C on, my puller fan came on low speed at 205 and quit at 192. The pusher fan never came on at all so I thought there was a problem there but the manual says it won't come on till the puller fan runs at high speed. I hope to read more in this forum on the subject.

The '89 must be wired differenty than the '90. The fans run in series to get low speed and parallel for high speed on the '90. Three relays are used to get the series/parallel operation. Both fans always run together??<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com