Electrical pulse

I am having this weird pulse on all my lights, especially inside the car. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and if so do you have any fixes.

Guest Orono

I assume the car is running when you are seeing the pulse. If the pulse stops when you turn off the car it is most likely the regulator. You can either replace the alternator or you may be able to purchase an alternator rebuild kit.

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to checking out the electrical pulse. I checked out the alternator, which turned out to be good, and the charging system. The machine said that everything was good. So I endevered to look further. I changed out the belt, which made the pulse better. I also changed out a battery cable, which the previous owner cut and twisted back together. That made no difference at all. Today, I'm going to change out the plugs. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on. All the lights, inside and out, pulse when the car is on. Also the battery light comes on and off when driving. I'm suprised more people don't pull over when they see the pulsing lights come up behind them.

The dash lights blink too, but that is not the problem. While driving, the battery light comes on and off. Also, the cars exterior lights pulse. Not all the way out, but the pulse is very noticable. I've looked for alternator on the machine and looked for shorts. I'm not sure if it is related but the car idles with the pulse. Still that wouldn't cause the car to pulse while driving. This weeked I even changed the plugs and plug wires. They really needed to be changed, but that didn't correct the problem. It's driving me nuts.

Well, I finally went and got my charging system checked out by someone who has done it for awhile. My alternator is only producing 56 amps. It looks like I'm going to have to shell out some money for a new one. I appreciate all the response and I'll let you know how it turns out.