Leather in the 50's

Bill Stoneberg

Looking at doing the interior of my 1950 Buick. It came with Vinyl but I would like to switch to Leather. I have found documentations howing that is correct but have a question.<BR>Back in the 50's was the full seat and interior leather or was just the parts that your back and butt hit ? What is is like in anyone elses car ? <BR>Obviously there is a big price difference between full Leather and just butt and back leather.<BR>I am assuming that any 1950 Buick with Leather will be similar to mine. I cant find any documentation showing that the Wagons are different.<BR>Thanks for any help you all can give me.

I think leather was all leather----thats what my 55 showroom brochure and samples say,anyway. The naugahide they used in the 50's also looked just like real leather. I don't know why it is not made anymore.

Hi Bill<BR>My 49 Super Estate Wagon had full leather seats, Back and bottom, as did the rear seat.<BR>I am not sure about the 50.<BR>Do you have color and trim book or salesman facts book? Might find information there. Back in those days you could special order your car most any way, and salesman would put order through.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

Guest John Chapman

Bill... I think the politically correct, marketing accepted, raised-sensitivity version is: "seating surfaces..." Just in case you'd give a whoopee cushion... grin.gif" border="0 <P>Cheers,<BR>JMC

John,<BR>"Seating Surfaces"... What Kind of PC BS is that ! Thanks though I needed a laugh. smile.gif" border="0 <P>Jim, Buick switched in 1950 to be able to have "leatherette"(vinyl) or real Leather in the cars. Your 49 was correct with all leather. In 51 they only had "leatherette".<BR>So 50 was a year of change.<P>I have both a salemans book and a trim book and neither on talks about Leather. Cloth yes, Cow Hides no.