Station Wagons ETC..

radionut98

Havn't seen much about this subject in magazines but have seen a lot in some of the<BR>forums. Are "Wagons" etc.. becoming that<BR>popular to start collecting or is it just the fact that true wagons are old? I kind <BR>of like the idea but didn't want to collect<BR>something that no one would stop and admire.<BR>Loren

As far as "numbers" go, station wagons are a vanishing breed of vehicle. There typically were fewer produced than the more desirable hardtops or convertibles plus they were used for what they were and discarded. There were some fabulous station wagons built in the '50s and '60s too, but few people really appreciate them so they'll walk right past a pristine station wagon to a more common hot rod GS with wide tires and chrome under the hood.<P>The link John provided is to one of the largest station wagon groups in the USA. A good station wagon deserves to be saved and restored, but the market for such will never be there like it would be for a real GS Stage I, for example.<P>NTX5467

But the market for certain station wagons (Vista Cruisers, Nomads and all the Woodies) are stronger then most cars at the moment. <BR>I really think that the Wagons and the 4 doors are an area that will do well down the line.<BR>Besides, with a big car, you can actually take your friends with you.

And yet, I have been trying to sell an excellent, solid loaded reasonably priced '65 Sportwagon on this site for months with not only no takers, but near silence for response.<P>Go figure!<P>Steve.

I read and hear references to station wagons being HOT right now all the time. Just last weekend on car and driver the host made a reference to station wagons becoming a hit with generation Y, to haul camping gear and bikes etc. They said that they were shying away from sport Utilities because thats what their parent drove (YUK). Wagons are also supposed to be hot with young surfers right now. They are perfect for the "hot rodder" who has gotten married and had kids. It is hard to haul a stroller and kids in a Chevelle SS. The wagon is perfect for this type of rodder. I see alot of wagons on the web for a decent price, more pricey than a few years ago but still great buys considering the production #s and the fact that most got crushed since their was no market for them for years. I happen to have always liked wagons and intend to get one someday soon.

For 2 years now I've been making the point that younger buyers just don't have the same romance for the car that people raised before 1974/1979 have. The newest interest in small, practical station wagons (as long as their not <I>called</I> station wagons! We <I>don't</I> want to be like grandpa, now!) bears this out.<P>It isn't just that Dad drives an SUV and therefore Jr. doesn't want one. It's more to the point that Jr. want's to drive a vehicle with the same utility <I>(AND hauling capacity--look it up, it'll scare you!)</I> than Dad's ridiculous SUV, and that still gets 35+ mpg on the highway! You see, Jr. was educated by a system that taught him that his choices impact others, and that matters to him and his friends. If you think that's a bad thing....well times change, don't they!<P>Jr.'s "image" is usually based on more sophisticated things than what he drives, like piercings, tatoos and X-Games prowess. rolleyes.gif" border="0<P>I've been driving compact station wagons since my first, a Mazda in '87. There's nothing like the knowledge that you're getting the most bang for your transportation buck,<I>and</I> impacting the planet and radical politics to the least degree possible at the same time. <P>Oh yeah, did I mention that Buick mostly makes just that really <I>s-l-o-w</I> sedan you've seen hogging up the center lane on the beltway for the last 20 miles, often with the left blinker on and a small, grey person in a hat driving? Their idea of "youth" marketing? --a minivan disguised as an SUV! rolleyes.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0

Been using big GM wagons as daily drivers for close to 20 years now, and a special aunt and uncle always had a Ford wagon around (a 1956 Park Lane for one) so I'm quite used to them and like them.<P>Yah- young'uns are getting into them. I've had several ask me if my old non-woody 83 Custom Cruiser was for sale. The things are showing up at GoodGuys and other rod runs, slammed, modern wheels and rubber, trick paint-<P>Kinda wild, ain't it? 15 years ago they wouldn't have been caught dead driving one! I work with a guy who's 35 and always rags me about "that wagon". "That's what my parents had! and I hated riding around in the back of it!". His wife drives a new 'Burban... a station wagon by any other name.

Guest Shaffer

I guess I will put my two cents in now. grin.gif" border="0 As a fan of stationwagons, I can say that the popularity of wagons has sky-rocketed over the past few years. The wagons of the late 1940s to the mid 1970s are becoming very collectible and even wagons newer through the 80s are becoming popularly wanted cars. When I bought my 1989 Pontiac Safari 3-seat wagon, my uncle had to drive it from North Carolina to Tennessee on about a 6 hour drive. Four different people asked if it was for sale. He had his dealer tag on it. I only paid $700. for it and it is in excellent condition. He said one person offered $2,000 for it. I had wanted the Pontiac version of the 1977-1990 GM full-size wagon for a long time and was lucky to get it. it was almost sold just minutes before I called the owner back and said I wanted it. I found it on the classified section of <A HREF="http://www.stationwagon.com." TARGET=_blank>www.stationwagon.com.</A> Now I think I am buying a 1969 Pontiac Executive Safari wagon that is 500 miles away. I am getting it at a very good price and everyone on the Pontiac club and stationwagon club says to buy it immedietly, as this model is rare, especially with the 3rd seat option. It also has A/C and optional woodgrain. Even demo derbiers will pay $1,000+ just for a decent 1971-1976 GM "clamshell" full-size wagon. Collectors of just these wagons will pay as much as $10,000+ for a good one. There is a 74 Caprice Estate wagon for sale on traderonline for $14,000 and two early 70s Chevrolet wagons priced over $6,000. Sometimes you can find really good deals on a wagon. Typically, the 1950s-1960s wagon will sell for over $1,000+ needing a total restoration, if it is not a rusty car. Even the newer 1991-1996 Chevrolet, Oldsmobile and Buick wagons are very popular now and have a high resell value. In conclusion, wagons becoming collector cars very quickly.

It seems to me that a station wagon has even more nostalgia built up in it than a typical golden oldie. Who didn't grow up with a great old family truckster, even more than the sedan version of the same car? What great childhood memories, remembering the trips in the 'back-back' seat? Who remembers helping Dad by 'riding shotgun' when the lawnmower was being brought back from the hardware store, or holding down some 2 x 4's so they don't damage the sidewalls of the wagon? I remember our old 1965 Sportwagon better than any of the other cars we had over the years. <P>Yes, I'd say that the station wagon is finally gaining the popularity in the collector's market that it deserves.

Thanks to all for your input to this forum<BR>question. I got my answer plus. My only<BR>complaint is that being 66 yrs old I think<BR>all of us should refrain from using the<BR>word "old grey men with hats" or words to<BR>that effect. Most or I should say that all<BR>of us on this forum are either collectors<BR>or want to be and that is the nub of this<BR>forum and not to be used to degrade age.<BR>Whether we be 25 or 66 we are in this forum<BR>to find ansers or to discuss issues that<BR>effect all of us. Thanks again guys/girls<BR>If I find a decent wagon I will probably<BR>buy it. Loren

Old is a state of mind, Loren! I'm 45 and have more gray than I care to admit, but I know a lot of 70-ish people who are 25-30 at heart, and conversely a lot of 30-year-olds who are ready for social security. I've found that as long as you have a young outlook and want to have a little fun in life you'll be young (driving a station wagon or not!). We should all be old pharts and kick up our heels once in a while, and if we look ridiculous doing it, well, the folks who don't like it can kiss ol' Rhody! tongue.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0 Get yerself a wagon and enjoy it! A nine passenger job with a big-block and loud dual exhaust if you want!

Well I put my money in a wagon. Not too much of it and certainly a lot less than is in my Riviera convertible. My wagon is a '69 Ford Falcon Futura. I was so pleased to see a picture of yet another '69 Falcon wagon in the new (August) issue of Hot Rod - Reader's Rides section. And it is owned by a high school kid whose only modifications have been new "rims". Well my Falcon wagon is completely stock and original. I am the second owner. It is a dry western car, originally from San Diego. Generally these cars were not taken care of - they ended up with a kid going to college or the plumber. They were trashed. So an old, original wagon is rare and a very fun vehicle to have at a car show. Get one. You'll have the only one at the show. People like a wagon; it is a friendly, non-threatening car. Enjoy.