Exterior Color VS. Interior Color

Guest James Conkwright

Guest James Conkwright

I have a 50 Special that has just been painted back to the original Meridian Blue. What color is the dash supposed to be? Are all '50 Dashs the same? The color on the dash now is slightly darker than the exterior. Just want to get it right.<P>Thanks<BR>James Conkright<BR>1950 Buick 46-S<BR>1958 Cadillac Conv<BR>1971 Chevrolet Monte Carlo<BR>2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71

James,<BR>On the 50's I have seen including mine, the top half is flat black and the bottom half is the color of the car.<BR>Take a look a WillyBilly's we site. While his is a 53 he has a good picture of what I mean.<BR><A HREF="http://www.weels8.com/fdash.html" TARGET=_blank>Look Here</A><BR>I probably have pictures of my dash at home if you need more info.<BR>I hope that if I am wrong, someone will correct me, cause I am going to paint my car this way.

Guest my3buicks

My 53 Super in Glacier Blue had an unrestored dash in it that was a very deep navy blue top with the lighter blue lower section. On the 53's the top dash color matched the metal top part of the interior door as it flowed from dash to door. And again the lower dash light blue flowed into the door panel also. Look at the metal on top your doors, this should give you a good clue as to color.<p>[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: my3buicks ]

James,<P>Grew up riding in a '52, my first car was a dark green '50 and the dash colors were identical in both. Top a very dark slightly metallic gloss paint, bottom color an almost silver metallic light gray - again a gloss paint. From other comments it appears as though the color scheme varied depending upon color of car. The '52 we had was a two tone - metallic blue with a white top picked up in Flint in the summer of '52 and driven back to California. Perhaps someone here will recall the different color combinations although to the best of my recollection it seems as though what I had may be most common as I don't remember any other colors from say 1946-1953 (then quite a variety beginning with 1954 and upwards).<P>Can you remove something (radio knob, gauge, etc.) to see some "virgin" paint that has been hidden all of the years? If you can you might be able to get a good match.<P>Good luck, Gene

Guest James Conkwright

Right now the dash is a dark dark green/blue on both the top and bottom. The trim around the doors is also the same. Now on the back side of the glove compartment door where the original jack and hood opening instructions are attached the color is tan??????? This is odd.<P>James

Guest 53and61

My '53 series 40, which has been in the immediate family since it was new, is Glacier Blue. The dash is a fairly glossy black on top, and the rest is blue, but a completely different hue from the Glacier Blue. A local paint shop found an old Ford body color that is a match for the dash blue.