1950 Buick Outside Sunvisor

Guest James Conkwright

Guest James Conkwright

Was a sunvisor for the windsheild a factory option for the 1950 Buick Special? I have found one called A Fulton Sunvisor. Was this the visor buick installed or is it after market? Is there any kind of special brackets needed? Thank you<P>James Conkright<BR>1950 Buick 46-S

Guest James Conkwright

50OhYeah, I really need this visor. Please do not try to outbid me, they are on alot and you have about 2 years of hard work ahead of you before you get your Buick ready for that. Chrome will set you back 6 months and about 2 grand. Mine will be complete within the month and I would love to have this.

I have a 1950 76R and it has the Fulton visor on it. Let me tell you it makes all the difference in the cars appearance. Good luck to whoever gets it. How about posting some pics of the finished beauty. You gotta love the grille on a 50 Buick!! shocked.gif" border="0

You must not have done all the pot metal inside rechromed. <P>If you did and got off for 2 grand you are lucky.<P>By the way, I looked in my salesman's data book. I see no listing for a sun visor. This tells me that Buick did not offer this as an option.<P>If you are getting judged in a Buick show with the 400 point system (Nationals) you will get dinged for having a non Buick accesory. Just so you know.<P>Cant wait to see your car.<p>[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: Bill Stoneberg ]

Guest James Conkwright

Bill I was not refering to the money I spent. I was just saying that 1950OHYEAH needs to concentrate and save his money before going out and buying a sunvisor that he doesnt need. Hes got ALOT of work and mostly like 2 years worth of work to finish his car. Most will agree with me on this. The 2 grand part was refering to the overall expense of only rechroming bumpers. If he plans on doing the entire car he'll be suprised with the price. I recently finished up a restoration on a 1958 Cadillac and I put over 6K in the chrome on that. The Buick would be slightly less since there isnt as much chrome but I would expect to see a 4K job if you did decent. My car will be at the GN and I hope to see you there. I do know that the Fulton Sunvisor was an option (dealer installed?) Many Buick owners have these and the Fultons are the correct ones. <P>James Conkright<BR>1950 Special 46-S

James,<BR>I agree with your post and wasn't trying to make you mad. I am sorry if I came across that way.<BR>I agree with your assesment of 1950's situation. He has a lot of work and money still to spend. And you are correct in the chrome, I am paying for mine now.<BR>I will still argue though that points will be taken off because post war Buicks must have accesories supplied by Buick, not the dealers. This will make the Fulton, even though put on by a dealer, incorrect.<BR>I may be wrong, but that is how I interpet the judging manual.<BR>Like I said, I am looking forward to seeing your car in Kokomo.

Guest James Conkwright

Sorry to come across the wrong way, I wasnt trying to say anything I shouldnt. Yes the visor is most likely incorrect but they look very nice. A couple of points at the national doesnt matter. Its only one show and most shows wont even know. I hope to see you there to. Is your wagon going to be ready?<P>James 50 46-S

James you can have the damn visor if you want to act like a baby. <BR>Thanks Bill for letting whoever know about the salesbook for 1950 buicks because....I am restoring mine to a restored original.<P>I am not bidding on the visor James but... i should bid one or two times just to bring the price up!but i not like that. SO If you get your visor I get MY JACK! I wont rise the price. but if not up up up.

Oh yeah i forgot something. For both JAMES and BILL: I WILL HAVE MY CAR DONE yes DONE before THE END OF THE YEAR. HOW dare you JAMES to scare me with PRICES on my car CUZ i dont care I have HOOK ups Around my town and can get my stuff cheaper than 2 grand or whatever!

Not this time. Probably I will take it to Flint in 2003.<BR>Body work is still being done and haven't even started the wood yet. Then we have the interior. Its a long process as you are probably aware of.<BR>We wont even talk about having to replace some of the pot metal pieces because I chose the wrong plater the first time.<BR>All in all, I am probably a year away from having it done.<BR>The visors do look nice on the cars, I have thought about one myself.

Guest James Conkwright

1950Ohyeah, Not trying to be offensive, good god calm down. Im just letting you know whats ahead of you, and yes 2K will barely get that '50 front bumper done. I know where all the platers are in this area and none are located close to you except for maybe some industrial platers you dont mess around with car parts. 3K or more on chrome, everyone will agree. With the EPA stuff nowadays there are no deal in chrome, you pay premuim price and you get what you pay for. Cheap Price=Cheap Chrome. (lifespan 5 years) Show Chrome=Show Price ( will last as long as you want it to) But hey, I hope you get it done. I know from experience though 2K on chrome is NOTHING. Over 6 in my Cadillac alone. Was never trying to scare you, but when it all totals up you should have somewhere around 10K in your car excluding purchase price and thats if you paint it and do they body work yourself. I may be off a little but not much. Sorry to offend you.<P>James Conkright<BR>1950 Buick Special 46-S<BR>1958 Cadillac Series 62 Conv<BR>1971 Chevrolet Monte Carlo<BR>2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71

1950... I am agreeing with James. I am always surprised at how much chrome does cost.<P>No one here is trying to scare you but at the same time you need to know what you are in for.<P>We are all here to help, not hinder. <P>Good luck with the car, keep the pictures coming.<P>I have lots of Buick literature (salesmans book, interior and paint book etc) if you have questions as you go through the process.

Guest oldtimer

the only thing i know about the visors is that the 2 piece windshield had a center brace and the one piece didn't. i looked at the visor on ebay and i think it's a universal one. the ones i've seen ('50 super and special) do not look like that. i need to get a part time job at a chrome shop....

James, I have a visor on my 46D couldn't tell you who made it, but it sure is nice. It keeps a lot of the sun out but doesn't obstruct your view, except for the trafic lights. I have a view finder mounted inside to help pick up the lights. Hope to see your car down in Kokomo, I'll be done friday in time for the cruise in at Dog and Suds.

Guest James Conkwright

So do you think the visor on ebay is incorrect for the 2-Piece Winsheild Special? I dont know much about the visors but I do want somthing that will fit and look correct. Is this the one?<P>James<BR>50 46-S Jetback 2Dr

Visors do change the appearance my sons 48 roadmaster 2 dr sedanette looks real cool even in old orig paint with flames. They look lower it is just fun to see young people get into cars. It has a 425 auto out of 65 electra. Thanks for all the conversation on all topics. Keep it fun the thrill last longer Mike.

I saw a lot of visors on eBay. For a general rule, 2-piece windshields require a 2-piece (adjustable width of fixed) visor, with a slight V-shape. I have seen 2-piece visors on a one-piece windshield, and it looks OK, but it won't work vice versa.<BR>There's a lot of Fulton 2-piece visors on eBay, however I trial fitted one on my 46 Roadie, and it looked too bulky - had to get rid of it. Also, people keep telling me that a Fulton visor will rip itself off if you exceed 60 mph.<BR>Jyrki