Speedometer cable tip breaking off in housing?

ossenfort

Has anyone had a problem with a reproduction speedometer cable (67 GS400)with the plastic tip breaking off in the speedometer housing? I had bought a reproduction speedometer housing from XXXX XXX several years ago (with the plastic tips instead of the factor metal) and within two weeks the speedometer was not working. I found out the the tip of the cable broke off on the inside of the housing. Yesterday, I finally decided to take out the complete dash and replace the housing and I have found that this is a big task. Just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else. If so, I believe that the company should make the original type of cable with metal tips instead of the plastic tips. <BR> I did call the company when this happened and they said that they never heard of this happening to anyone else. <P> Thanks!

GM serviced speedo cables with the plastic tips, and the only time I ever saw them break off is when either the speed head or the cruise control transducer would bind up or freeze up completely. I think your problem is in one of those components.

I concur that there has to be excessive resistance in something that the cable is turning.<P>For many of the earlier vehicles, the cables were serviced in a somewhat universal range of lengths. Then, the plastic tip was stuck on the end when it had been cut to the correct length. Inside the plastic tip was a blob of epoxy adhesive that stuck things together. In later vehicles, the "cable and casing" is one part number that comes ready to install. The plastic tip was also available separately in a package of 5, if I remember correctly--under an AC-Delco and GM part number.<P>The cruise transducers were famous for locking up and twisting the cables. There shouldn't be that much resistance in a speedometer head without something significantly rubbing and trying to lock up. Check the speed cup bushing for wear. Some of the production ones were plastic or they could be an oilite bronze. When that bushing goes away, it can let the spinning magnet touch the speed cup and result in noise and a suddenly jumping speedo needle.<P>NTX5467