Rare, plain, 3-speed 58 Buick

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

Here is a interesting 58 Buick on E-Bay. This is a the cheapest model and a plain, jane model (for a Buick - Although it is still is a upscale car, with lots of chrome). It has no power steering, no power brakes, 3-speed manual shift. The description there says only 1% of 58 Buicks had the manual shift. <BR> <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=601478578" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=601478578</A>

I agree with the comments on this car. That is my favorite '58 Buick color.<P>As I've often said before, the Specials may have been Buick's lowest price models, but they certainly did not lack for class!<P>I still remember approaching a beautiful, black '37 Special sedan with dual sidemounts at a car show back in the mid-1970's. I arrived just in time to hear others commenting about what a beautiful "Cadillac" it was!

Guest Shaffer

The 58 Buick may be the base model and on the low side of options, but with all of that chrome, you can't tell it was a low-line Buick. This car has about as much chrome as the 57 Roadmaster and 59 Electra I think, or it seems like it anyway. I thyink it is the huge front and rear bumpers and rear side chrome that give it a upscale class. I think the 1958 Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs had moe chrome than any car ever built or very close.

Guest Skyking

Very nice car, I believe there was even a cheeper model, Model 48, which had the post. I like the 3 speed! It's hard to believe one would go though such a restoration as that one and not do the radio, dash lights and wipers.......I wonder what the reserve is.

Guest Shaffer

I too thought it odd that the dash lamps do not work on such a nice car. All of the old GM cars my family has (50s), the dash lights work. My grandfathers 55 Buicks dash lights are original and still work fine, but my uncle had a 1955 Cadillac that they was not working in. His 58 Lincoln conv. dash lights are not working either, but my grandfathers old 56 Fords lights worked. This brings a important question: Other than a bad fuse or burned out bulbs (unlikely I guess for all bulbs to be burned out) what has anyone here with dash light problems on the 50s-60s cars found out the problem be?

Guest sintid58

The dash lights in my 58 dont work. The reostat in the light switch is burned out and I need a new light switch. I haven't found one yet but have hot wired the dash lights to my ignition switch and they are on when the key is on. This works fine but someday would like to find a new (not used) light switch to get it back correct.

Guest Skyking

My guess is to keep looking on e-bay. One should pop up. I've been finding out e-bay has been my best sourse for finding parts for my cars.

You will see photo ads for two more very striking '58 Buick Specials in the February Bugle, including a restored 2-door hardtop and an original 2-door sedan. If I were someone with the resources to acquire a large collection of fine vintage cars, I would want to pursue all of these beautiful '58's!