What goes into rebuilding a carb?

our51super

Hello all,<BR>I was just pondering the idea of whether or not I should tackle the task of rebuilding my carb. I have taken carbs apart in the past but I never replaced needles, jets, seats and all that so I'm not sure if I should venture. I guess I'd like to know if the pros set certain adjustments by usign a flow bench or if it's just one of those "count the number of turns on that screw" deals.<BR>I did notice that there is an incredible price difference ($200 for a carb as opposed to about $30 for a rebuild kit) so that's what prompted me to see about doing it myself.<P>I'll be sure to let Teresa look at it after I fix it, you know, just to make sure I don't burn down the house. smile.gif" border="0<P>Thank you for your input.

I have rebuilt a number of carbs.....from the Q-Jets to the one on my '49 Buick, to the one on my Dad's 48 Nash. Not a terribly difficult job - jut be patient, work slow, get lots of carb cleaner to either soak or spray it clean (care to the passages when you spray them....the spray either comes back at you through the plugged up passages, or out unexpectedly !!! shocked.gif" border="0 ). If you have done any amount of work on your car - have a pair of good needle nose pliers....not a problem for you.

Guest Skyking

I like BUICKNUT, rebuilt plenty of carbs. I think the most critical part is adjusting the floats properly. The kits come with adjustment specs. If they are out of adjustment you could wind up with all sorts of problems. Go slow and keep checking the settings and you will be fine.......

I'd also recommend buying a manual of some type--I've got a library of vintage Motors manuals which is great. You can also go to any big auto parts store or book store and get a book on rebuilding specific types of carbs. The books aren't expensive (maybe $20-$30, but cheaper than a new carb!), and will, if nothing else, give you a lot more confidence as you tackle this project.<BR>The first carb I ever took apart was a Holley when I was 17. I'm 30 now, and finally threw out the carcas box of parts that had followed me to three states. Then when I was 19, I rebuilt the Q-jet on my '72 Centurion. Had a couple parts left over, but it never seemed to run poorly (well, it did, but that was always ignition). 3rd time was the charm. Bought a book, read some magazine articles, cleaned off the work bench and kitchen table, and rebuilt a Holley. And it didn't intimidate me a single bit--seemed as natural as putting on my socks. Didn't have parts left, and it runs nice.<BR>Good luck!

All previous advice is good. Two more helpful hints:<BR>1. Try to get the rebuild procedure and drawings from the factory shop manual for your make of car.<BR>2. Take the drawings to photo copy shop and blow them up.<BR>One more point - if you mess up just put pieces back together and trade it in on a rebuild carb.