left thread, right thread at wheel bolts?

ThomasBorchers

Guest Skyking

The guy was wrong. All were right handed threads for 55. My 62's were different. I changed them to all right handed when I added the chrome road wheels.

My '54 has "normal" bolts on both side as well.<BR>Mopars were known for there left hand thread wheel studs.<BR>They also bolted the ring gear to the differential carrier with left hand thread bolts. Unfortunately, that's usually not discovered until snapping off a couple of the bolt heads when removing the ring gear. But I digress...

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Are you sure about that upper series statement?<P>My 1951 Special had LH threads, not sure on the 1953, but my 1955 & 1957 were RH.<P>My 1959 Olds has LH threads on the driver's side. Wierd.<P>I always wondered why all of a sudden they decided that the studs did not have to be LH any more.<P>Scott Mich

Oops! Some guys can put wrong theories in the web all day and not get taken down but I apologize about wheel attachments.It was 1961 when a new hiree (from another division)took the long-used bolts away in favor of nuts.Looking in the parts book will tell you what year used a particular bolt(like long bolts for aluminum drums,etc) When the parts book shows 20 used per car,they all would have been<BR>RH threads.Sorry for the mistake,hope I am forgiven!