northern new jersey buick owners

DugsSin

well, here's the deal. i've got a fuel leak towards the front of the engine down by the fuel pump, which i assume means something is wrong w/ the fuel pump as all of the hoses and such appear to be attached tightly and in good shape. it's a fairly fast drip which stops about 20 minutes after i shut it down. <P>i hesitate to do it myself since i'm no pro, but perhaps if you could give me an idea of what i'd be getting myself into then maybe i'll give it a shot. i just wouldn't want to make a simple mistake and ruin anything.<P>thanks,<BR>steve

If you do decide to take it somewhere, Stage 1 Auto on Rt 23 North in Pompton Plains is an excellent shop specializing in Buick V8s. Give Rob a call: 973-839-4900. In addition to 'regular' mechanic work, he does a lot of GS & GNs, engine building, trans, etc.

It's pretty hard to mess up on a fuel pump unless your smoking a cigar while your working on it. shocked.gif" border="0 Just pull the two fuel lines (some gas will drip out) unbolt the two bolts, and scrape the old gasket off. Install the new gasket and fuel pump and check for leaks.<P>Tomsriv

not to ask a real stupid question, but have you tried to see exactly where the leak is coming from (as it is dripping?)? also what type of 1972 buick are we talking about. these problems with the fuel system up front are fairly simple to diagnose and fix (if you are at all handy) i might be able to copy and send you the info from my 1972 deal manual that would explain fixing the problem once you identify if it is from the fuel pump itself or from the lines. let me know what you want to do.<P>john wink.gif" border="0

just curious if any of your folks out there know of any trustworthy repair shops in northwest new jersey where i could take my 72 buick for some general maintenance and a new fuel pump? thanks in advance!<P>Steve