Bypassing Ballast Resistor & Replacing Ground Wire

Thanks to everyone for all their help over the months!<P>I've got my pertronix setup installed, it's extremely hard to start now. The unfixed (for now) carb probs don't help any either. Will be converting to 4bbl soon I hope.<P>In my pertronix post, EricK said to run a new wire to get 12v key-on and make sure not to mash the ground wire inside the distributor.<P>Okay, when I was installing the pertronix ignitor, that little black ground wire was broken almost in half. Due to the amount of trouble I had getting into the thing I didn't bother with it. But now, due to it's evident importance, how do I fix it? I found no screw in the breaker plate where it (i think) attaches to.<P>Next up, there is a resistance thing between the starter and the coil, so the whole 7-8 volt thing is bad. What gauge wire should I use and where would I easly find it? Where to run it from would be nice also. :-)<P>Tips on getting at the starter would be a plus also as it's pegged under the right headers or exhaust manifold (have no idea which).<P>In my latest engine knocking post, Jim said to try running the engime at max noise level and pulling the wires one at a time to see if the noise went away. Is this 'safe'? Do I pull from Plugs, or Distrib?<P>An odidity I think, your told to reset timing after several minutes of idle after installing the pertronix. When I checked mine after a good 30min, it hadn't changed one friggen bit. But now it wanders 1 degree between 11 and 12. Thoughts?<P>[added]: Forgot to mention a possible help here. During cold warm up and when I punch it a bit to pass or whatnot, blackish smoke comes from the tailpipe. It's made a nice black mark on the driveway. <g><P><BR>Many Thanks to Everyone!!<P>-Scott<BR>'71 SkyLark #44437<BR><p>[This message has been edited by CyberBuick (edited 01-21-2001).]

I know I am not the one to you want to post. the test is safer than driving it. you pull all the plug wires off the plugs one at a time with the engine off. place them back on the plug but not on to the final "click". this makes them easer on and off with the engine running. you must use something insulated to pull them off when running. <BR>You can buy cheap pliers made for just this or a wooden clothespin works great. As for your petronix I am in the minority but I won't use it it's points or HEI for me. JIM

I always pull the wires off of the distributor cap. If you pull the wire off the spark plug, the wire is still live with thousands of volts. This can jump to your hand. When you pull the wire from the distributor cap, the high voltage will arc from the tower to the wire until it is far enough away, then maybe arc to some other distributor terminal or nothing at all. But at least it will not arc to you if care is taken. Also, the distributor is not usually near hot exhaust manifolds like spark plugs are. If you are working on an older car with non insulated spark plug terminals, the better way is to ground the terminal instead of removing the wire to make an open circuit.<P>Do not do any of these if you have a pacemaker installed.<P>Black smoke from the tailpipe usually indicates a rich mixture. When the choke is partially closed,like at cold warm up, the mixture is rich.<P>Frank DuVal

do not panic <BR>1-use any wire that has curent when the key is on.you will replace the wire going to the + of the coil with the new one tape up the old one or follow the 7-8 volt wire to were it changes to another wire that i think is made of fabric.this is your resistor wire cut it and replace it with a new 12 G wire.<BR>the fabric wire is what brings the volts from 12 to 7.<BR>the blk wire can be cut and use a new wire that you will solder make shure you tape it well.<BR>the pertronic will not mount at the same place it uses other holes that are near the ones for the points on the breaker plate.wou will need to turn your distributor as you start the car to find the new timing.it will be very off.<BR>once started set your timing as usual<BR>good luck Erick<P>------------------<BR>1965 wildcat custom conv