What is the best way to start a rebuilt engine?

assuming there is assembly lube on all the internal surfaces, there is coolant in the system, and all the bolts are tight:<P>1. check engine ground strap.<BR>2. pack oil pump with vaseline<BR>3. fill oil to proper level<BR>4. fill carb bowl with gas (manually, or with pump in fuel line.)<BR>5. use distributor shaft with gear removed to turn oil pump for 60 seconds.<BR>6. install distributor (make sure you are on the right tooth)<BR>7. start (may take some gas pedal pumping)<BR>8. set timing with vacuum advance plugged.<BR>9. run car at ~1000 rpm for 10 minutes.<BR>10. shut off, check for leaks.<BR>11. drive.<BR>12. change oil after 500 miles.<BR>13. drive<BR>14. change oil after 1000 miles<BR>15. drive<BR>16. change oil after 3000 miles<BR>17. repeat 15 and 16 forever<P>if, at any point during this, you see leaks, shut down, tighten bolts, and start from where you left off.<P>allan

Allan's advice is great. I'd only add that the 1000 rpm on start-up is especially critical for a new camshaft. If you can do it, I'd stay above 1000 rpm for at least 30 minutes to give the camshaft a chance at a nice long life. Even after this, I'd avoid prolonged slow idles.<P>Also, I'm assuming the cam was coated with a special camshaft assembly lube--not just plain oil. Often this goo comes with the new cam, but if not, GM sells Engine Oil Supplement (EOS) and a special camshaft break-in lube. Either one is great for this purpose.<P>Lastly, keep a fire extinguisher handy!!<P>Greg Cockerill<BR>BCA #36864<BR>1970 Electra

I prefer to keep the RPM's in the 2000 range, as your trying to keep the oil splashing on the cam during this crutial 30 min. break in period. I also advise you to keep a simple household fan running on the radiator during this time. Other than helping with the cooling, it helps remove the smoke. lol The fire extinguisher cannot be over stressed, preferably a CO2 type. This type won't put chemicals into your intake should it be required, but any dry powder type is good.<P>------------------<BR>George C. Thomas<BR>70 GS 455 12.teens<BR>86 GN Low 13's/ high 12's