Rear taillight bulbs

I recently bought new taillight bulbs and when I went to install them I couldn't get my old ones out. They're completely corroded and stuck in each socket. Any tricks on how to get these out without them breaking?<P>Thanks<BR>Chris

Guest John Chapman

Chris,<P>I've run into the same thing on my car. Best solution is new sockets if they are still avialable for your car.<P>I was able to salvage mine by soaking with PB Blaster. I let it sit like that for a couple of days, then was able to coax them out by breaking the bulb and using needle nose pliers to work the bayonet base loose from the socket. It took some patience.<P>Once the bayonet bulb base was out, I used emery cloth and a small wire brush to clean up the socket parts and resoldered the contacts to the lead.<P>Final cleaning/preservation was completed using a product called LubroMoly Auto Electric Care. You can find it at stores that cater to the Porsche/BMW/Jaguar crowd. At $9 a spray can, it's pricy... but boy howdy does it work well!<P>Good luck<BR>John<P>------------------<BR>John Chapman<BR>BCA 35894<BR>1965 Skylark Convertible (Some Assembly Required)<BR> jmchapman@aol.com