What is a speed alert???

I have seen reference to this more than once, but don't know what it is. Is there some sort of buzzer to tell you when you are going too fast? My 69 GS 400 has a knob on the dash that moves a yellow pointer across the face of the speedo, but it doesn't do anything when the speedo pointer crosses behind it. Do all buicks have this yellow pointer?? The only buzzer on my car is the awful one that goes off when the keys are in the ignition and the door is open. By the way, has anyone disconnected that one successfully?? I found it up under the dash but it has a lot of wires going to it...almost as if Buick didn't want people to disconnect it. HMMMM.....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FISHMAN:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B>I have seen reference to this more than once, but don't know what it is. Is there some sort of buzzer to tell you when you are going too fast?</B><P>Yes, that's exactly it.<P><B>My 69 GS 400 has a knob on the dash that moves a yellow pointer across the face of the speedo, but it doesn't do anything when the speedo pointer crosses behind it.</B><P>That's because the buzzer on your speed minder is broken.<P><B>Do all buicks have this yellow pointer??</B><P>Nope... only the ones with the speed minder option.<P><BR><B>The only buzzer on my car is the awful one that goes off when the keys are in the ignition and the door is open. By the way, has anyone disconnected that one successfully?? I found it up under the dash but it has a lot of wires going to it...almost as if Buick didn't want people to disconnect it. HMMMM.....</B><P>Aren't those buzzers annoying? I have never tried to disconnect one of those on a Buick... but I completely disabled a Ford once by disconnecting that buzzer. No great loss I guess... wink.gif<P>Matthew<P>

my 70 skylark has the speed minder and much to my surprise it still works .i only set it when one of the kids ask to take it out. i did disconnect the buzzer in the dash beside the glove box and the car still ran. the horn and blinkers quit so i put it back.i had a friend tell me to drill a hole in the buzzer to stop it but i think i will just put up with it.

The Speed Alert was often paired with the Trip Odometer as an option. A very large percentage of Buicks from the late '50's through early '70's seem to have this option.<P>The Speed Alert still works in both my '59 Electra and '71 Centurion. I keep both set at about 90-mph to minimize the irritation factor as I'm cruising along the Interstate.<P>

I have a 67 wildcat that the speed alert does not work on. I have traced all the wires per the shop manual and checked all of the current. Still no buzz. Maybe someone out there has another idea of something I missed. Thanks. It also appears that someone could disconnect it by unplugging the buzzer I found mine located above the glove box mounted to the underneath side of the instrument panel.

Does anyone know which fuse the speed minder is wired into? My courtesy lights did not work, so I removed the fuse and put it back in and viola! Courtesy lights. I haven't tried the speed minder since then because I did not know it was supposed to buzz. If it is fused with the courtesy lights it may work now. Does it buzz from the same buzzer the key is connected to???

If you're trying to disable a key minder buzzer, it's usually easier to disable or unplug the key switch in the collumn or where ever it is on your '69. It's usually a seperate switch independant of the ignition switch, but it might be different for your car. <P>I've done that to several cars w/o complication. What happens is the buzzer never knows the key is in the ignition, so no buzzer.<p>[This message has been edited by Dave@Moon (edited 08-04-2000).]