mitchell car club

Guest 57 pontiac

Guest 57 pontiac

Can anyone help me with finding out information about a Mitchell (sp ) auto, perhaps there is a club somewhere out there. Thanks

I had a 1921 F-40 Mitchell,the motor being one of the biggest pieces of junk ever,rest of car was very good..and drove well..Mitch grin.gif" border="0

A very dear friend is the fortunate owner of a 1907 Mitchell roadster which has to be one of the most thorough yet sympathetic and accurate restorations I have ever seen.<P>Everything about the car speaks of solidity and quality in a day when the most substantially made cars were the most durable.<P>Several years ago he challenged me to a race up 107 from Westbury to Mill Neck.<BR>I had recently bought a fully restored '28 Essex as an everyday car and was touting it's {and sadly mispercieved} virtues when he challenged me.<P>I was leading for 1/4 mile and suddenly the Mitchell passed me, finally doing just under 65mph while my Essex struggled at 55 and overheated to boot.<P>I soon sold the Essex to a cable TV magnate and got a '50s Mercedes to toy with but I will never forget the look on my friend's face as his '07 made mincemeat of my '28.

I know of a 1910 for sale but everything needs going over again.<P>The 1907 I mentioned was restored by a retired engineer so everything, bolts, nuts, spring shackles, axle bearings, you name it, it was restored or replaced making this one road worthy car.<BR>The deceased engineer, who lived in California drove the Mitchell twice up Pike's peak and the current owner has color slides of this plus what must be the most thoroughly documented restoration on record.

• 15 years later...
On July 30, 2002 at 9:57 PM, Guest said:

I know of a 1910 for sale but everything needs going over again.<P>The 1907 I mentioned was restored by a retired engineer so everything, bolts, nuts, spring shackles, axle bearings, you name it, it was restored or replaced making this one road worthy car.<BR>The deceased engineer, who lived in California drove the Mitchell twice up Pike's peak and the current owner has color slides of this plus what must be the most thoroughly documented restoration on record.

What does he want for her ??

On 7/30/2002 at 6:31 PM, Guest said:

I had a 1921 F-40 Mitchell,the motor being one of the biggest pieces of junk ever,rest of car was very good..and drove well..Mitch grin.gif" border="0

This comment interests me. I have a 1910 Mitchell Model T and I would make the identical observation about its engine. The chassis is fairly conventional and probably as well made as most mid-priced cars of the period but I suspect they cut every corner imaginable on the engine.