WTC the work goes on, 217 days and counting

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

That is right, 217 days since 9/11 and the work at WTC or Ground Zero goes on around the clock. That is 651 normal 8 hour work days or 130 plus normal 5 day work weeks or about 2 1/2 normal work years.<P>My brother and his wife went down Saturday night, the last night of the temp. memorial of lights pointing into the sky. (My brother is with NYPD and was two blocks away when the second tower fell.) It was the first time back in several months and he has been able to face the scene easier each time.<P>The city is back to normal and the redevelopment has started on subway tunels, the 1 & 9 lines and the PATH into NJ. Electric is being rewired and now the focus is on what to do with the area. Many grand plans are in the works for making the area better. A plan for a cross downtown underground people mover, taking the Long Island Rail Road to downtown from Brooklyn, and memorials.<P>What are people thinking west of NJ? Any feelings?<p>[ 04-16-2002: Message edited by: SalG ]

I have good friends in NJ who watched the whole sordid mess as it unfolded. They're slowly getting back to normal.<P>It's hard to believe that in July 2000 I was in the WTC. A year later it's gone, courtesy of people who think the American people are defined by symbols of prosperity. Wrong. <P>Just shows what the results of fanaticism are.

I hadn't been to the WTC since 1980, when I ate at Windows on the World. I wish I'd left a better tip.<P>I think in very short order the entire world will believe Bin Laden was the worst judge of his own situation imaginable, including those he chose to lead.<P>Put 'em back up!

We were in the city two weeks ago with a German exchange student that was staying with us. She really enjoyed the city, and shared the same shock we did when the killers struck.I never got to go in the WTC, but will be in the new ones once they are built.

The day of the tragedy I was at work when the first plane hit, I had just returned from the OR when I saw a group of people surrounding a visitor hallway TV watching the situation unfold. I stopped and asked a nurse what had happened when the second plane came into view and struck. The collective scream of all those people watching this happen still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I heard someone say "they are messing with the wrong people" when an announcement came over the intercom announcing a readiness alert, as that was going on we switched over to emergency power and everyone disbanded to their respective areas not knowing what was going to happen next.<P>Once back at my office I tried to get some news through the internet and could not even get outside the corporate intranet, the radio became our link to the outside world as phone use was being reserved for emergencies only. The city streets on the drive home were suspiciously vacant and once home CNN became the only channel on in the house. I think I can speak for all the Canadian people in saying we became one nation for a time and all had inexpressible anger toward the perpertrator. The restraint shown by the US during the entire crisis has been exemplary and the world applauds and still supports the action taken.<P>I only hope that the good Lord has been preparing a special Hell for the SOB.

While I still think about the WTC, this time of year I think more about the 2 friends I lost in the Oklahoma City bombing. This seems closer and more real to me then the WTC.<P>I mourn for all that got killed in NY and their families. I pray that we change as a country so no event like OK City or WTC will ever happen again.

• 4 months later...
Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Now the talk is about rebuilding and a memorial. The lease holder wants to put up several buildings and the same amout of sq ft, the families do not want anything on the footprint of the two towers.

• 1 year later...