Early Car Photo-Needs Identification

Chris Paulsen

Here is another early car photo. I cannot identify it. <BR>Note the 10 spoke front wheels, 10 hub bolts front, 12 rear, and nearly flay rear hub caps. The radiator emblem appears to be a vertical oval or like shape. Also the step plate under the rear door. <P>Can anyone help?<P><BR> paulsen2.jpg<p>[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: peterg ]

Guest De Soto Frank

Chris,<P>Olds or Cadillac?<P>1910-1914 ?<P> confused.gif" border="0<P>Judging by the relatively short hood legnth, I would guess it's either a 4 or a V-8 ?<P>Can't tell for sure of it's shaft or chain drive- are those "bump-outs" for sprocket covers just ahead of the rear fenders?<BR>If chain drive, perhaps Pierce?

I am inclined to say this is an early Mercer. I believe 1909 or 1910. <BR>I know its not a Lozier!<BR>Any other opinions?<P>Mike Turner <BR>Seattle WA

Thanks for the input. It is not an Oldsmobile or a Cadillac. There are some similarities, but not all things match. It appears to be shaft-drive.<BR>Maybe Mercer, but I cannot positively match it with other early Mercer pictures I have.<BR>I agree, definately not a Lozier.<BR>Keep the ideas coming...<BR>Thanks,<BR>Chris

I can only advise you to post it at <A HREF="http://www.mysterymotors.com" TARGET=_blank>www.mysterymotors.com</A> of Honest John, brilliant website anyway. If that doesn't help you can also consider posting it at my site <A HREF="http://www.prewarcar.com" TARGET=_blank>PreWarCar</A>. My readers have identified a lot of cars as well. But first try Honest John and send him my greetings. Joris

Chris:<P>Take your pick; that car is either an Abbott-Detroit, American Simplex, Pierce, or Velie. If you have trouble narrowing it down, let me know and I will pursue it. Also, the year is 1910 give or take. Good luck and it is definitely not a Mercer.

• 5 months later...

I Have compared your photo to the Velie Register book, and based on the right rear door, right hand drive, it appears to be a 1911 Velie, Model G - 5 passenger Touring Car. If you contact Bob Nelson at his E-mail Address: velie1@earthlink.net he may be able to help you. Good Luck.<BR>Steamer

The picture of the 1910 and 1911 Velie in the Standard catalog show <BR>rounded tops on the front fender not the flat top fenders in the above picture,and the<BR>hood in the cat. does not seem to have the Packard shape to it.